New Delhi: Hours after US President Donald Trump Monday threatened to bomb Oman, a longtime US ally, if it “gets in the way” of his administration’s efforts to negotiate with Iran, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) denied any claims of backchannel negotiations, labelling him as “delusional”.
“There are no talks taking place between IRGC officials and the Americans, and this lie by Trump is merely fantasies caused by the delusions and nightmares he has suffered as a result of defeat and desperation in the war,” an IRGC spokesman told Tasnim News, a semi-official Iranian news agency.
Trump’s threat in a telephone interview with Fox News came a day after Iran said it had reached an understanding with Oman that would allow ships to travel through the Strait of Hormuz.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s— out of them”, Trump was quoted as saying.
Trump also said in the interview the US maintained a direct backchannel to the IRGC, one of Iran’s most powerful military, economic and political institutions. IRGC denied the claim.
The US and Oman have been pursuing separate talks with Tehran over reopening the Strait of Hormuz that has been largely closed for nearly six months during the war between the US and Iran.
Iran and Oman reached an agreement on a shipping route map for the Strait of Hormuz after weeks of technical negotiations, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Sunday.
Speaking to Defa Press, Baghaei said the two countries, which border the waterway, had begun intensive discussions about three months ago, following the signing of a memorandum of understanding on 18 June aimed at establishing safer navigation routes.
Oman borders the southern side of the Strait of Hormuz and has described itself as a neutral country in the conflict. The country has also suffered several strikes from Iran and has emerged as a key intermediary in efforts to persuade Tehran to reopen the waterway.
Baghaei told reporters that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route” with Oman. He said the two sides would finalise the details before issuing a joint statement. Oman has previously described the negotiations as positive.
Earlier this month, Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said that a full reopening of the strait would depend on Iran receiving compensation from the US for what Tehran described as violations of the memorandum of understanding.
Trump, meanwhile, said in his Fox News interview that he had a direct backchannel to the IRGC and that he was in no hurry to bring the war to an end.
“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” he was quoted as saying. “I have no time schedule. I’m not in a hurry.”
A memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran in June was intended to establish a ceasefire and at least partially reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The agreement broke down soon afterward, however, when both sides resumed strikes.
On 8 July, Trump claimed the ceasefire was “over” and denounced Iran’s leadership as “scum” and “cuckoo” after a fresh exchange of fire.
(Edited by Sugita Katyal)

