Representational image | Bloomberg
Text Size:

Washington: The American military struck back at an Iraqi militia believed responsible for the rocket attack that killed two Americans and a Briton, the U.S. Defense Department said on Thursday night.

The strikes against Kataib Hezbollah, which is closely associated with Iran, “targeted five weapon storage facilities to significantly degrade their ability to conduct future attacks against Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR) coalition forces,” the department said in a statement. “These weapons storage facilities include facilities that housed weapons used” to target American and coalition forces.

“As we have demonstrated in recent months, we will take any action necessary to protect our forces in Iraq and the region.” Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in the statement

Katyusha rockets struck Camp Taji, an Iraqi base that hosts coalition personnel for training and advising missions, on Wednesday. Three coalition service members were killed and about a dozen people were wounded, according to a coalition statement.

Iraqi Security Forces found a rocket-rigged truck a few miles from Camp Taji after the strike, which occurred only months after a similar assault almost led to a direct military confrontation with Iran.

Iran, which steadily expanded its influence in Iraq after the fall of the dictator Saddam Hussein, uses asymmetrical warfare to undermine American interests across the Middle East through the use of militias, including Kataib Hezbollah and the Lebanese group Hezbollah.


Also read: How the US and Iran arrived on the brink of war

We are deeply grateful to our readers & viewers for their time, trust and subscriptions.

Quality journalism is expensive and needs readers to pay for it. Your support will define our work and ThePrint’s future.

SUBSCRIBE NOW


A rocket assault in late December that killed an American contractor and wounded American service personnel resulted in the U.S. striking five bases in Iraq and Syria used by an Iranian-backed militia.

Then in early January the U.S. killed Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, who the Trump administration accused of planning more attacks against American targets. Iran responded by firing more than a dozen missiles at U.S.-Iraqi bases.

The attack on Camp Taji took place on March 11, which according to several online biographies, was Soleimani’s birthday,

While not a direct strike on Iran, the American reprisal comes at a particularly difficult time for the Iranian leadership.

The shooting down of a commercial airliner in January and the killing of anti government protesters in 2019 amid a worsening economic crisis, has put President Hassan Rouhani’s government under siege.

And that was before the coronavirus erupted in the country, infecting or killing some senior officials.

The virus may make Iran even more of a military threat, General Kenneth McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, told a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Thursday.

Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said that the virus could be part of a biological attack on the Islamic Republic, according to a statement published by the semi-official Fars News agency on Thursday.

“Kataib Hezbollah is the only group known to have previously conducted an indirect fire attack of this scale against U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq,” McKenzie said at the Senate hearing. “This indicates Iran’s “desire to continue malign activities” despite periods of decreased tension with the U.S., he said.

“We have reestablished a rough form of deterrence, what I would call contested deterrence with Iran, at the level of state on state attacks,” he added. “What has not been changed is their continuing desire to operate through their proxies indirectly against us. And that is a far more difficult area to deter.” –Bloomberg


Also read: What is Mahdi Army? The group Iraqi Shia cleric wants to reactivate after Soleimani killing


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

News media is in a crisis & only you can fix it

You are reading this because you value good, intelligent and objective journalism. We thank you for your time and your trust.

You also know that the news media is facing an unprecedented crisis. It is likely that you are also hearing of the brutal layoffs and pay-cuts hitting the industry. There are many reasons why the media’s economics is broken. But a big one is that good people are not yet paying enough for good journalism.

We have a newsroom filled with talented young reporters. We also have the country’s most robust editing and fact-checking team, finest news photographers and video professionals. We are building India’s most ambitious and energetic news platform. And we aren’t even three yet.

At ThePrint, we invest in quality journalists. We pay them fairly and on time even in this difficult period. As you may have noticed, we do not flinch from spending whatever it takes to make sure our reporters reach where the story is. Our stellar coronavirus coverage is a good example. You can check some of it here.

This comes with a sizable cost. For us to continue bringing quality journalism, we need readers like you to pay for it. Because the advertising market is broken too.

If you think we deserve your support, do join us in this endeavour to strengthen fair, free, courageous, and questioning journalism, please click on the link below. Your support will define our journalism, and ThePrint’s future. It will take just a few seconds of your time.

Support Our Journalism

Share Your Views

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here