File image of Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi speaking at the UN General Assembly | Twitter
File image of Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi speaking at the UN General Assembly | Twitter
Text Size:

New Delhi: China Wednesday reiterated that India is to be blamed for the Galwan Valley incident Monday night in which 20 Indian soldiers died, but maintained that both sides are in “close communication” to resolve their issues that have resulted in a stand-off for over a month.

The Chinese statement comes after India said Tuesday night that China wanted to “unilaterally change the status quo” in the Galwan River Valley. India also alleged that China did not respect the understanding reached on 6 June between senior commanders of both armies.

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi was quoted as saying by Global Times: “The incident was very clear, as it happened on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) and the responsibility did not rest with China.”

“China and India are in close communication on resolving relevant issues through both diplomatic and military channels,” Wang said.

The foreign minister’s comments are critical, because he is also the designated ‘special representative’ for India-China boundary talks. His counterpart on the Indian side is National Security Advisor Ajit Doval.

The last round of SR-level talks between Doval and Wang took place in December last year, following the informal summit in Mamallapuram between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping, where both decided that “differences will not be allowed to become disputes”.

We are deeply grateful to our readers & viewers for their time, trust and subscriptions.

Quality journalism is expensive and needs readers to pay for it. Your support will define our work and ThePrint’s future.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

The SR mechanism was institutionalised in 2003 after former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s visit to China.


Also read: India shifts China diplomacy strategy to high gear after Galwan clash, military-level talks on


Russia-India-China trilateral dialogue postponed

Meanwhile, sources confirmed to ThePrint that the Russia-India-China (RIC) trilateral dialogue, which was to take place virtually on 22 June between External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, China’s Wang and Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov, has been postponed in the light of the Galwan Valley incident.

The sources said India has been reaching out to diplomats who are keen to understand the ground realities, ever since the border stand-off began last month.

“Clearly, these are concerning reports. We encourage India and China to engage in dialogue on issues relating to the border. Violence is in no one’s interest,” said a spokesperson for the British High Commission.

Earlier this month, Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla had briefed Russian Ambassador to India Nikolay R. Kudashev on the evolving situation in eastern Ladakh.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had also discussed the “situation on the India-China border” over a 25-minute phone call with US President Donald Trump on 2 June.


Also read: China has an Achilles’ heel. India must take the battle there from LAC


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

News media is in a crisis & only you can fix it

You are reading this because you value good, intelligent and objective journalism. We thank you for your time and your trust.

You also know that the news media is facing an unprecedented crisis. It is likely that you are also hearing of the brutal layoffs and pay-cuts hitting the industry. There are many reasons why the media’s economics is broken. But a big one is that good people are not yet paying enough for good journalism.

We have a newsroom filled with talented young reporters. We also have the country’s most robust editing and fact-checking team, finest news photographers and video professionals. We are building India’s most ambitious and energetic news platform. And we aren’t even three yet.

At ThePrint, we invest in quality journalists. We pay them fairly and on time even in this difficult period. As you may have noticed, we do not flinch from spending whatever it takes to make sure our reporters reach where the story is. Our stellar coronavirus coverage is a good example. You can check some of it here.

This comes with a sizable cost. For us to continue bringing quality journalism, we need readers like you to pay for it. Because the advertising market is broken too.

If you think we deserve your support, do join us in this endeavour to strengthen fair, free, courageous, and questioning journalism, please click on the link below. Your support will define our journalism, and ThePrint’s future. It will take just a few seconds of your time.

Support Our Journalism

2 Comments Share Your Views

2 COMMENTS

  1. A huge setback to sincere efforts that have been made over the last thirty years to put the memories of 1962 behind, attempt to build a more mutually beneficial relationship. As a lay person, one cannot judge the military utility of the sixty square kilometres of Indian territory that China has forcibly occupied since early May. The basic Indian demand that status quo ante be restored is a fair one. The loss of lives takes the relationship to a very dark place. It is now for the Chinese government to look to the next fifty years, see where India fits into its scheme of things, whether it wishes to open the door or slam it shut.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here