Friday, 12 August, 2022
HomeWorldStudents test positive in Kenyan school, shops protest France lockdown & other...

Students test positive in Kenyan school, shops protest France lockdown & other Covid news

As the Covid-19 pandemic shows no signs of letting up, ThePrint highlights the most important stories on the crisis from across the globe.

Text Size:

New Delhi: The novel coronavirus pandemic continues to devastate countries across the world — the latest count being over 4.7 crore cases and more than 12 lakh deaths.

Fifty-two students in a school in Kenya tested positive for Covid-19, three weeks after classes resumed. France’s small business owners are up in arms against the new restrictions while doctors in Italy urge the government to implement tougher restrictions fearing a torrent of cases.

ThePrint brings you the most important global stories on the coronavirus pandemic and why they matter.

Students test positive in Kenyan school 3 weeks after reopening

A school in Kenya’s Busia county recorded 60 Covid-19 cases three weeks after classes resumed, reports Nation.

The cases emerged after about 100 samples were randomly taken by public health authorities for testing.

The 60 positive cases included 52 students, four teachers and two support staff. According to the report, they are under isolation while the rest of the school staff and children have been placed under quarantine within school premises.

The report quotes Busia Governor Sospeter Ojaamong as saying, “Our teams are currently carrying out surveillance at the school to establish how the infections spread to the school and take the necessary measures to contain the situation.”

Kenya has reported 57,093 cases and 1,039 deaths.


Also read: How lockdowns and working from home can make us less creative


Shopkeepers in France revolt against orders to close

In France, the second national lockdown, which began on 30 October, has prompted severe backlash from small business owners, reports The New York Times.

Non-essential businesses including restaurants and bookstores have been asked to shut under the latest restrictions while supermarkets, electronics chains and online retailers will remain open.

This, however, has ignited furore among small businesses who are calling the laws unfair. Heads of supermarket chains have also said that the “rules made no sense” as they are allowed to sell only authorised products.

“Politicians and trade groups have joined the outcry, forcing President Emmanuel Macron’s government to scramble to come up with a new game plan,” the report notes.

France has reported 15,02,763 cases and 38,289 deaths.

Egypt could shut schools again as second wave fears escalate

Egypt is likely to shut down educational institutions once again as a second wave of the virus is expected to hit the country, reports Arab News. 

The report quotes Education Minister Tarek Shawky as saying, “Protecting students in various classrooms is one of our most important priorities, and we are always working to provide distinguished, high-quality education to the masses of students.”

The number of Covid-19 deaths in educational facilities is at three per million and only 75 cases had been reported among 25 million students and other staff members, at present, noted Arab News.

Egypt has reported 1,08,122 cases and 6,305 deaths.

Italian doctors want tougher restrictions to avoid overwhelming hospitals

Doctors in Italy have requested the government to impose harsher restrictions over concerns that hospitals may be unable to cope with a torrent of patients, reports The Guardian. 

Filippo Anelli, the president of the Italian order of doctors, tweeted Tuesday, “Our worry is that this second wave won’t be a coastal storm, but a tsunami that could overwhelm the national health system.”

This comes even as the government is reportedly considering a “light lockdown”. Currently, the number of people in intensive care is said to have exceeded 2,000.

Italy has reported 7,59,829 cases and 39,412 deaths.


Also read: How Asia’s ‘cluster-busting’ strategy could help tackle Covid’s new surge in Europe, US


Australia’s Victoria records no new Covid cases for fifth day in a row

The Australia city, Victoria, has not recorded any new cases for five days in a row, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. 

The report, however, highlights the remark made by the province’s premier Daniel Andrews, who said that there was no reason to remove masks yet.

The administration of the neighbouring New South Wales state also announced that it would open its borders with Victoria from 23 November.

“The Premier of NSW would not be opening her border if she did not have confidence in a couple of important things: one, the public health response in our state, but most importantly in the people of Victoria to stay the course,” the report quotes Andrews as saying.

Australia has reported 27,620 cases and 907 deaths.

What else we are reading:

Covid-battered Brazil faces two familiar scourges: Bloomberg Quint

Virus is pummeling Europe’s eateries — and winter is coming: The Associated Press

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Support Our Journalism

India needs fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism, packed with on-ground reporting. ThePrint – with exceptional reporters, columnists and editors – is doing just that.

Sustaining this needs support from wonderful readers like you.

Whether you live in India or overseas, you can take a paid subscription by clicking here.

Support Our Journalism

Most Popular

×