Saturday, 28 May, 2022
Advertisement
TopicBad Loans

Topic: Bad Loans

10-year-low interest rates, discounts — Banks, builders pin hopes of revival on festive season

In anticipation that consumers will ease their purse strings during festive season, banks including SBI & HDFC have slashed home loan rates to the lowest level in a decade.

HDFC to double retail loans as consumer demand picks, Covid uncertainty declines

HDFC's retail loans grew around 9.3 per cent slower than its overall book's 14.4% in the June quarter, much lower than SBI (16.5%) & ICICI (20%) growth in that portfolio.

Govt’s Bad Bank plan may only be a band-aid, doesn’t push banks to improve lending practices

ThePrint view on the most important issues, instantly.

Cabinet approves proposal to provide Rs 30,600 crore govt guarantee for bad bank

The proposed bad bank or NARCL will pay up to 15% of the agreed value for the loans in cash and the remaining 85% would be government-guaranteed security receipts.

Modi govt finally sets up bad bank hoping to tackle NPA mountain, boost credit flow

The bad bank was registered as the National Asset Reconstruction Company Ltd with Padmakumar Madhavan Nair as the MD. Its paid-up capital is Rs 746 million.

Rs 2 lakh crore – that’s how much debt India’s bad bank opening this month will handle

By housing bad loans of many lenders under one roof, the new entity should help speed up decision-making and improve bargaining power when resolving these assets.

RBI allows takeover of PMC bank by Centrum Financial Services to set up small finance bank

In September 2019, RBI had placed PMC under regulatory restrictions, including cap on withdrawals by its customers, after detection of certain financial irregularities.

Modi govt’s bad bank plan sparks fear that loan prices could be inflated

Market participants say they’ll be closely watching whether bad bank plan could wind up inflating the price of distressed assets.

Bad loan problem is worse than what official numbers show

Most banks have reported a smaller percentage of bad loans on their books in the last quarter. Here’s a look at the full extent of the problem in selected financiers.

A surge in bad loans is set to worsen India’s NBFC crisis

NBFCs fund a wide range of businesses. Any setback would not bode well for an economy already heading for its worst annual contraction since the 1950s this financial year.

On Camera

YourTurn

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and former PM Imran Khan | Photos from Facebook

Jinnah said Pakistan would be a ‘laboratory’. Experiments by Imran, Shehbaz prove him so right

If Yasin Malik’s sentence is a call for condemnation, then why is the establishment forgetting Hafiz Saeed? But neither Shehbaz nor Imran Khan would take note.

RBI sets aside more money for rainy day, payout drops

The central bank approved the transfer of 303.1 billion rupees to the government from its surplus funds, a third of the 991.2 billion rupees it had given last year.

Defence

NSA Ajit Doval with NSAs from the other countries at the meeting at Dushanbe, Tajikistan | Photo: Courtesy the NSA's office

NSA Ajit Doval pushes for ‘terror free’ Afghanistan, says India stands with Afghan people

Doval's comments came at 4th Regional Security Dialogue on Afghanistan attended by national security advisors from Tajikistan, India, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Iran, Kyrgyzstan & China.

Mandir or Masjid? New surveys not needed, just acceptance of truth & move towards reconciliation

That temples were destroyed and mosques built is undisputed history. The past can’t be changed, but we can’t deny the wrongs of the past either before we consider reconciliation.
×