scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Friday, August 21, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaAfter Rahul dharna, Delhi Police take pellet gun victim's complaint, lodge FIR...

After Rahul dharna, Delhi Police take pellet gun victim’s complaint, lodge FIR against ‘unknown persons’

Lochab, the protester who lost vision in one eye, submitted the hospital report that mentions ‘injury caused by small metallic pellets, with less than 1 percent chance of vision recovery’.

Follow Us :
Text Size:

New Delhi: Hours after Leader of the Opposition Rahul Gandhi sat on dharna in front of Parliament Street police station, Delhi Police Friday registered an FIR against unknown persons in connection with pellet injuries sustained by Sahil Lochab during the ‘Sansad Chalo’ protest march called by CJP on 20 July.

According to the FIR, of which ThePrint has accessed a copy, the police have booked an unnamed person under sections related to voluntarily causing hurt and acts endangering life.

This comes hours after Gandhi sat outside the Parliament Street police station with the singular demand of an FIR in the matter. The Congress leader first reached Connaught Place police station earlier in the day with Lochab and his mother. He was later told that New Delhi Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Sachin Sharma was at the Parliament Street police station, following which Gandhi went there and sought an update on the complaint, finally sitting on a dharna with Sahil’s family and other Congress leaders.

Lochab in his complaint wrote that around noon on 20 July when the police began to lathi-charge protesters, trying to escape from a stampede-like situation, he had ran towards Palika Bazar “holding the national flag”.

“As my face was turned the other way, I felt something burst near the right side of my body, chest (near heart), arm, and eye. Looking back, I saw a person in a blue uniform carrying a large gun who fired multiple metallic pellets (4 to 5 times) at me,” the FIR read. “I bled heavily from my eye, face, hand, and chest, losing vision in my right eye,” Lochab added in his complaint.

Lochab further said that as a crowd gathered, someone put him on a bike, and took him to Lady Hardinge Hospital, followed by Safdarjung Hospital, and later AIIMS.

“After being admitted to AIIMS Trauma Centre I underwent first surgery on the right eye,” the FIR read.

Sharing the contents of the MLC report, Lochab said that the hospital report clearly mentions that the “injury caused by small metallic pellets, with less than 1 percent chance of vision recovery”.

“CT Scan revealed over 200 metallic pellets embedded across my body (eye, neck, chest near heart, jaw, arm). Two pellets are lodged deep behind the right eye socket near nerves and cannot be removed,” the FIR read.

He further stated in the complaint that on 25 July and 1 August, 2026, he underwent a second eye surgery at RPC Eye Center, AIIMS. “Doctors noted no improvement and stated chances of vision returning remain virtually zero”, the FIR read.

“As a peaceful student protester, I have permanently lost vision in one eye and harbor hundreds of pellets in my body. I request that you immediately register an FIR, secure the CCTV footage and drone footage from Jantar Mantar, Sansad Marg, Connaught Place, Patel Chowk, Rajiv Chowk, and Traffic Police,” the stated.

He further requested preservation and forensic examination of pellets extracted during surgery. And consideration of compensation for his medical treatment.

(Edited by Amrtansh Arora)


Also Read: Rahul stages dharna for FIR on complaint of teen hit by pellets, BJP calls it ‘hit-&-run attitude’


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular