New Delhi: An FIR is being filed in connection with pellet-gun injuries suffered by 19-year-old Sahil Lochab during the 20 July ‘Sansad Chalo’ protest march, according to Congress sources, hours after Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra along with other senior leaders, staged a dharna outside the Parliament Street DCP office demanding that a case be registered.
Gandhi initially reached the Connaught Place police station with Lochab and his mother earlier Friday, seeking registration of an FIR over the alleged use of pellet guns during the protest. He was later told that New Delhi DCP Sachin Sharma was at the Parliament Street police station, following which Gandhi went there and sought an update on the complaint before sitting on a dharna with Sahil’s family and other Congress leaders.
According to sources, the FIR is now being registered.
Rahul also took to social media platform X, seeking answers from Home Minister Amit Shah over the alleged use of force against protesters and calling the violence “a serious crime”.
“On July 20, the police attacked Sahil, who was peacefully protesting at Jantar Mantar, with a pellet gun. Severely injured by the pellets, Sahil’s vision in one eye is now at risk. Such brutality against a peaceful protest is not just illegal—it’s a serious crime. Neither has Home Minister Amit Shah offered any explanation to the students for this cruelty, nor has the Prime Minister apologised to them. Now, when Sahil wants to file a First Information Report (FIR) for justice, even that is not being allowed,” he posted. “In this way, the Constitution and constitutional rights are being trampled upon. Amit Shahji, why are you so scared of justice? This fear shows that you are admitting to your crime.”
He added, “The FIR will be filed. A judicial inquiry will take place. And action will be taken against everyone—from top to bottom—who is guilty of this brutality. We will ensure justice for Sahil, and every student victim like him.”
आज साहिल लोचब के साथ, उनके साथ हुई पुलिस बर्बरता के खिलाफ FIR दर्ज कराने संसद मार्ग के DCP कार्यालय पहुँचा।
20 जुलाई को जंतर-मंतर पर शांतिपूर्ण प्रदर्शन कर रहे साहिल पर पुलिस ने पैलेट गन से हमला किया। छर्रों से बुरी तरह घायल साहिल की एक आँख की रौशनी खतरे में है।
शांतिपूर्ण… pic.twitter.com/on2uKkNeUM
— Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) August 21, 2026
Gandhi had earlier accused Shah of being responsible for the violence during the protests, demanding that the home minister make a statement in Parliament. “We hold Amit Shah directly responsible for the violence… He authorised the shooting of our students,” Gandhi had said.
According to Congress sources, Lochab, accompanied by his lawyers, approached the Delhi Police on 14 August and submitted a written complaint. The police allegedly refused to provide an I/O number and did not give an acknowledgement.
The complaint was pursued again on 17 August through email and phone calls, but the family was again not given an I/O number or acknowledgement, Congress sources said.
The Congress has alleged that pellet guns were used by Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel during the 20 July ‘Sansad Chalo’ protest march, in which several students were injured. The Delhi Police has repeatedly denied using pellet guns, while the CRPF has not publicly addressed the allegation. This has led to a political slugfest with Congress leaders targeting the government and the BJP accusing Rahul Gandhi of politicising the incident.
The Congress has since held several protests inside Parliament, demanding an explanation from the government over the alleged violence and the injuries suffered by students.
Congress general secretary K.C. Venugopal took to X to say: “The PM and HM, sitting on top constitutional posts, have no concern for the students and have still not cared to listen to their pain. On the other hand, they are deliberately stalling the LOP’s quest for justice, when he is out there on the streets, fighting for the students.
“Is it not a valid demand to ask for an FIR in such an egregious case, where Rahul ji has accompanied the victim whose body bears the evident of pellet guns?”
He added, “Without Home Minister Amit Shah’s orders, the Delhi Police would not dare to turn down Rahul ji when he has himself gone to the police station demanding an FIR. Is his demand unfair? Why has Amit Shah become such an enemy of our students and the youth?”
Congress leader Pawan Khera also targeted the BJP leadership.
“Nadda ji makes so much noise, without making any sense. Someone needs to tell him to be quiet, it’s funny how Modi ji keeps throwing one minister after another under the bus for Amit Shah – Ravi Shankar ji, Nadda ji, Rajnath ji, Kiren Rijiju ji.
“Always this ‘Ji’ or that ‘Ji’. But never the Relevant ‘Ji’,” Khera alleged.
He asked: “This is a Home Ministry matter—and it’s the Home Minister who is accountable. Why doesn’t he come forward? Is he a coward? Or is this silence an admission of guilt?”
Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge also backed Gandhi’s protest and again questioned the government over the alleged use of pellet guns. “Those shedding crocodile tears over nationalism are, in reality, the biggest enemies of the country’s youth! Amit Shah didn’t show up in Parliament for 19 days. The country wasn’t told who ordered the firing of pellet guns on students and why such brutality was even necessary against our youth? Now, Sahil, who was seriously injured by the pellets, and his mother are running around in circles with the Delhi Police to file an FIR. No Daily Diary Number, no Acknowledgment, no medico-legal report from Al India Institute of Medical Sciences,” he said.
“Today, Leader of Opposition Shri Rahul Gandhi himself has gone to the police station and then to the DCP’s office with Sahil and his mother. What exactly is Amit Shah hiding? There was a lathi charge on students, tear gas was fired, pellet guns were used. Many youth were seriously injured. Our daughters were groped, beaten with lathis and sticks. But Prime Minister Modi hasn’t uttered a single word to this day, and the home minister has kept dodging accountability,” Kharge said.
“Sahil is not alone. Shri Rahul Gandhi and the Congress Party stand with every affected youth. Their FIR will be registered, their voice will not be silenced, and the fight to deliver them justice will be waged with full force. The ‘Echo of Students’ will not fade,” Kharge said.
Union Minister J.P. Nadda hit back at the Congress, accusing it of trying to “ruin the future of children and students”.
“Now, the Congress party is bent on ruining the future of children and students as well…Rahul Gandhi must realize that the public has clearly recognized his ‘hit-and-run’ attitude and political hypocrisy. No matter how much drama he creates, the Congress cannot escape its sins or evade accountability. The people are demanding answers, and he will have to answer to them,” Nadda said.
This is an updated version of the report
(Edited by Nardeep Singh Dahiya)
Also Read: RSS chief Bhagwat adds to PM’s Gen Z outreach on I-Day—‘dissent central to democracy’
