Wednesday, 10 August, 2022
HomeDiplomacyNew Delhi denies Dhaka claim on India-China LAC tensions, says it was...

New Delhi denies Dhaka claim on India-China LAC tensions, says it was ‘fully briefed’

Bangladesh Foreign Minister Momen said Friday that India did not send any verbal notes to Dhaka on Galwan Valley clash that killed 20 Indian soldiers on 15 June.

Text Size:

New Delhi: Dhaka was “fully briefed” about the India-China tensions in Ladakh, a top Indian official told ThePrint a day after Bangladesh Foreign Minister A.K. Abdul Momen said New Delhi had not sent them any verbal notes on the Galwan Valley clash.

“Bangladesh was fully briefed (about the India-China border tensions). They even conveyed in confidence that they are with us on this issue,” the official said. 

According to a report in The Dhaka Tribune Friday, Momen had weighed in on the India-China tensions, and cited Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s claim that no one had occupied even an inch of Indian territory. 

Referring to the 15 June Galwan Valley clash, he added, “The Indian government did not send us any verbal notes that any of their people have died. As a result, naturally, we did not make any statement.

“Neither India nor China has asked us for support on any issue. None of them has said anything to us and we do not know about the matter even.”

Tensions between India and China in Ladakh began this May with Chinese incursions across the Line of Actual Control (LAC). Although the countries are in the midst of a disengagement, the process is said to be proceeding at a slow pace.

So far, India has briefed countries such as the US, the UK, Russia, Germany and some in the immediate neighbourhood on the stand-off.


Also Read: China takes Bangladesh into its embrace now as Delhi-Dhaka ties go downhill


‘Reports on envoy untrue’

Momen also refuted media reports that the incumbent Indian High Commissioner to Dhaka, Riva Ganguly Das, had failed to get an appointment with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the last four months.

“Media said the Indian High Commissioner has not been able to meet the prime minister for four months. To my knowledge she asked for an appointment on July 22 and gave us ample time. She will probably leave in late September or early October and wanted a meeting before that,” he said.

Das is coming back to India later this year to assume charge as Secretary (East) at the Ministry of External Affairs.


Also Read: Modi’s Hindutva agenda is unsettling Bangladesh, time Delhi reaches out to reassure Hasina


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Support Our Journalism

India needs fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism, packed with on-ground reporting. ThePrint – with exceptional reporters, columnists and editors – is doing just that.

Sustaining this needs support from wonderful readers like you.

Whether you live in India or overseas, you can take a paid subscription by clicking here.

Support Our Journalism

4 COMMENTS

  1. Why is India on bad terms with Everyone? After Aug 5 Modi’s Kashmir madness China has invaded India, Nepal is redrawing maps , so is Bhutan…Iran has pushed out India & replaced it with China in the strategic railway line to Afghanistan , Pakistan is ready open the second front as soon as first bullet is fired with China and now even Bangladesh is scolding India……………why??

  2. As usual, the whole point of this write up by a junior journalist is to show the Modi Govt in bad light.
    The Print, wake up. Nobody believes these silly little articles anymore. You guys have 0 credibility.

Comments are closed.

Most Popular

×