New Delhi: At least 42 aircraft of the US have been lost or damaged during military operations against Iran, a report published by the Congressional Research Service (CRS) has said, citing mostly available media reports and statements published by the Department of Defense (DOD).
The CRS document revised 13 May, suggests that during Operation Epic Fury (OEF), the US military lost at least 42 fixed-wing or rotary-wing aircraft including “uncrewed aircraft” were reported to have been lost or damaged according to statements published by the “DOD and the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)” and according to “news reports.”
“The number of aircraft damaged or destroyed may remain subject to revision due to multiple factors, which may include classification, ongoing combat activity, and attribution,” it added.
Of the 42 aircraft, the CRS report indicates that four F-15E Strike Eagle aircraft have been lost, according to statements released by CENTCOM. Three were lost on 2 March, in what CENTCOM identified as friendly fire incidents over Kuwait, while a fourth aircraft was shot down and destroyed during combat operations over Iran on 5 April. The four F-15E losses were publicly acknowledged by the US military.
The CRS lists damage to the F-35A Lightning II fighter aircraft–the US’ fifth generation stealth aircraft–as per media reports and news reports. CENTCOM has not yet confirmed the damage to this aircraft.
General Dan Caine, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, confirmed one A-10 Thunderbolt II ground-attack aircraft was destroyed by enemy fire during a press conference on 6 April.
At least seven KC-135 aerial refuelling aircraft have been reported as lost or damaged by the CRS. CENTCOM confirmed two aircraft were destroyed or damaged, while five were reportedly damaged while on the ground at Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia.
“The (DOD, which is “using a secondary Department of War designation,” under Executive Order 14347 dated September 5, 2025) has not published a comprehensive assessment of combat losses in OEF. During a May 12, 2026, hearing, Acting Pentagon Comptroller Jules W. Hurst III testified that the department’s cost estimate for military operations in Iran has increased to $29 billion,” the CRS report notes.
Amongst other losses detailed by CRS, the US reportedly lost 24 MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicles, two MC-130J special operations aircraft, one E-3 Sentry AWACS (air borne early warning and control system) aircraft, and one MQ-4C Triton UAV. For all these losses, CRS has cited news reports.
At least one HH-60 Jolly Green II combat and search rescue helicopter was confirmed as damaged by Gen. Caine on 6 April during a search and rescue operation the previous day. Around eight aircraft were confirmed around eight aircraft as lost or damaged, while the remaining figures were sourced from news articles.
The true scale of losses and costs has yet to be determined or publicly announced by the US Department of Defense. DOD officials commented in testimony to Congress that the war has so far cost the US government around $29 billion; however, the breakdown of the full figure has yet to be publicly stated.
“It is unclear whether DOD has provided Congress with an accounting of the aircraft lost in OEF. Congress may assess whether or not it has sufficient information and time to evaluate the potential effects of aircraft losses in U.S.military operations and potential DOD plans or programs to develop or procure replacements,” said the report.
CRS is a non-partisan organisation that maintains shared staff to congressional committees and members of the US Congress. The US government has often acknowledged the loss of service members and some equipment during the roughly 40-day war with Iran. A fragile ceasefire continues to hold between the US and Iran, as the two sides negotiate a potential end to the conflict.
(Edited by Tony Rai)

