Tuesday, 9 August, 2022
HomeDefenceIndia and China talk again, Pangong Lake remains point of contention

India and China talk again, Pangong Lake remains point of contention

Multiple rounds of talks, both at military and diplomatic levels, between India and China are to take place in the coming days.

Text Size:

New Delhi: India and China Wednesday held yet another round of military talks to resolve the over month-long standoff in Eastern Ladakh, with Pangong Lake becoming the main concern area.

The talks between GOC (General Officer Commanding), 3 Division, and his Chinese counterpart came a day after both sides carried out “small disengagement” steps in multiple locations as part of confidence building measures.

The talks happened on a day the Chinese foreign ministry said that troops have started implementing the “positive consensus” reached by senior military officials of the two countries on 6 June aimed at “easing” the situation along the borders.

“The Div Commander level talks happened as per schedule. They carried forward the talks held by the 14 Corps Commander on Saturday,” a source said, without elaborating.

He said the talks were “longish” as they went on for about four hours.

Sources said multiple rounds of talks, both at military and diplomatic levels, will happen in the coming days.

They accepted that Pangong Lake remains a point of contention.

As reported by ThePrint on earlier, India has demanded that the Chinese maintain the status quo as of early April this year along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

This means the Chinese would have to pull back the troop build-up along the LAC in the Galwan Valley, and retreat from the transgressions in the larger Hot Springs area and the Finger area of the Pangong Lake.

Pangong Lake remains a point of contention

The main point of contention is ‘Finger 4’ area along the Pangong Lake, where the Chinese have come in and built structures to stop Indian patrol teams from going ahead.

Indians claim the LAC begins from Finger 8 of the Pangong Lake, a claim disputed by the Chinese.

ThePrint had earlier reported that that while “no transgressions have taken place in the Galwan Valley”, Chinese troops have come in at least 3 km into Indian territory in the larger Hot Spring Area — Patrol Point 14, 15 and Gogra Post (also known as PP 17) — besides in the Finger areas of Pangong Lake.

Nowhere have the Chinese crossed the Chinese Claim Line (CCL). In the strategic Galwan Valley, the CCL and the LAC are the same according to the understanding between the two sides at the local level, though no formal maps have been exchanged.

However, in the larger Hot Springs area and the Pangong river side, the CCL extends into the Indian territory and this is where the Chinese have come in.


Also read: CPEC is China-Pakistan corruption corridor. This challenges Indian security in new ways


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Support Our Journalism

India needs fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism, packed with on-ground reporting. ThePrint – with exceptional reporters, columnists and editors – is doing just that.

Sustaining this needs support from wonderful readers like you.

Whether you live in India or overseas, you can take a paid subscription by clicking here.

Support Our Journalism

5 COMMENTS

  1. Australia cancels premier multilateral air combat training exercise

    • Australia has informed India that their premier multilateral air combat training exercise Pitch Black 2020 scheduled from July 27 to August 14 has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This was conveyed by Air Marshal Meg Hupfeld, Chief of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), in a letter to Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria, in mid-April.
    • The next edition of Pitch Black is scheduled in 2022.
    • In the last edition of Pitch Black in 2018, the IAF for the first time deployed fighter aircrafts which it had said would “provide a unique opportunity for exchange of knowledge and experience with these nations in a dynamic warfare environment”. The contingent consisted of 145 personnel, four Su-30MKI fighters, one C-130 and one C-17 transport aircraft which went to Australia via Indonesia and during the transit also had constructive engagements with Indonesian and Malaysian Air Forces.

  2. Saab completes testing of new AESA Radar

    • Saab has successfully completed the first air trials with its new fighter X-band AESA radar, which will be offered as a new addition to Saab’s PS-05/A radar family.
    • The trials were flown successfully, collecting data while detecting and tracking objects. The radar is designed for fighter aircrafts and can be adapted to a variety of platforms.
    • As Saab previously announced, a version of the new AESA antenna has been sold to a U.S. Government customer.
    • The host aircraft during the air trial was a Gripen D aircraft, which is currently offered with Saab’s latest Mk4 radar. The new version of the radar can be offered to Gripen C/D operators, as an upgrade. The new AESA radar features GaN, a material that gives lower power consumption and improved heat resistance. This enables wider bandwidth and greater reliability, availability and efficiency. The new fighter X-band AESA radar will, for example, have better performance against small targets, enhanced Electronic Counter-Countermeasures (ECCM) capability as well as improved ability to support more advanced weaponry.

  3. Elbit Systems awarded $103 million to supply airborne electronic warfare suites to a country in Asia

    • Elbit Systems announced on Sunday, 26 April 2020, that it was awarded a contract valued at approximately $103 million to supply comprehensive Electronic Warfare (EW) suites for an Air Force of an Asian country. The contract will be performed over a three-year period and includes long-term integrated logistic support.
    • Under the contract, Elbit Systems will fit the customer’s helicopters with complete EW suites, including countermeasure systems.

  4. HAL allowed to resume work from Tuesday with fewer employees

    • The Ministry of Home Affairs has allowed HAL to resume manufacturing operations as an essential defence service from Tuesday, 28 April 2020, but with curtailed staff and under strict safety guidelines.
    • HAL returns to conditional activities in two shifts, 8 hours each (normally it works in three shifts). Each shift may have up to 50% of its manpower. Employees have been asked to commute to work on their own.

Comments are closed.

Most Popular

×