scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeWorldAt least 30 killed in village attack in Nigeria's Kaduna, residents say

At least 30 killed in village attack in Nigeria’s Kaduna, residents say

Dogon Rana, secretary to the village head, said armed gunmen stormed the community by shooting randomly and burning houses. Eight children among the dead.

Follow Us :
Text Size:

ABUJA: At least 30 people were killed when armed men attacked a village in Nigeria’s northwestern Kaduna state early on Monday, two residents said.

Dogon Rana, secretary to the village head, said gunmen stormed the community shooting randomly and burning houses. Eight children were among the dead, while four other people sustained injuries.

Violence by armed gangs and other criminal groups has become a major security challenge across parts of northwestern and north-central Nigeria, where communities are frequently targeted in deadly raids.

The northeast is battling a deadly insurgency by Islamist militants Boko Haram and splinter group ISWAP. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack in Kaduna state.

Youth leader Ishaya Dawa, another resident, said the attackers stormed Naridon village in Kauru local government area close to midnight and opened fire on residents.

Dawa said some residents were slaughtered, adding that several bodies had been taken to the mortuary.

“The victims are women, children and the elderly,” Dawa said. The assailants set houses on fire before fleeing, he said.

Dawa said security personnel arrived at the village in the morning, hours after the attack.

Kaduna State police spokesperson Mansur Hassan said the command would provide details soon.

Disclaimer: This report is auto generated from the Reuters news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular