scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Sunday, August 16, 2026
Support Our Journalism
HomeIndiaThree drowning incidents in UP claim six lives, including five children

Three drowning incidents in UP claim six lives, including five children

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Deoria/Maharajganj/Jhansi, Aug 16 (PTI) Six people, including five minors, drowned in three separate incidents in Uttar Pradesh’s Deoria, Maharajganj, and Jhansi districts on Sunday, police said.

The incident in Deoria took place at around 2 pm in the Balesar Mathia village when a group of children went to bathe in the pit, Police said.

“Shahabuddin (12) and Touhid (10) drowned while bathing. Other children raised an alarm, following which villagers passing by rushed to the spot and tried to rescue them,” Khukhundu SHO Rahul Singh said.

The villagers pulled the two children out of the water, but they could not be saved, police said.

Singh said the families refused a post-mortem examination of the bodies and later buried them.

In Maharajganj, two youths drowned while bathing in the Rohin River near gate 3 of Rohin Barrage in the Parsamalik police station area, police said.

The incident was reported at around 4.30 pm, following which police reached the spot and, with the help of divers, recovered both bodies from the river.

The deceased were identified as Prince Verma (20) and Monu Sahani (14), both residents of Mahuawa village.

Circle Officer Nautanwa and other police personnel were present at the spot, while further legal proceedings were underway, SHO Vivek Singh said.

In Jhansi, two minor girls drowned while bathing in a pond in the Mauranipur area, police said.

The incident took place in Kanja Chitawan village when the girls, who were relatives, went to bathe in a pond along with some other children while grazing goats.

Hearing their cries, people from a nearby Kali temple rushed to rescue them. Although two children were pulled out, nine-year-old Imrahi Jaan and her eight-year-old cousin Rizwana were taken to a hospital in an unconscious condition, where doctors declared them dead, according to police.

Mauranipur SHO Mukesh Kumar Solanki said the bodies had been sent for a post-mortem examination, and an investigation was underway. PTI COR CDN PRK

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Support Our Journalism

India needs fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism, packed with on-ground reporting. ThePrint – with exceptional reporters, columnists and editors – is doing just that.

Sustaining this needs support from wonderful readers like you.

Whether you live in India or overseas, you can take a paid subscription by clicking here.

Support Our Journalism

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular