scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaPinarayi Vijayan rejects CPI demand for deputy leader post in Keralam Assembly

Pinarayi Vijayan rejects CPI demand for deputy leader post in Keralam Assembly

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Thrissur (Keralam), Aug 22 (PTI) Leader of Opposition Pinarayi Vijayan on Saturday rejected the CPI’s demand for the deputy leader’s post in the Keralam Assembly, saying it would go to a CPI (M) leader.

He accused the UDF government of failing to contain the rise in essential commodity prices during the Onam season.

The CPI is the second-largest constituent of the opposition Left Democratic Front.

Responding to questions about the CPI’s repeated demand, Vijayan said the appointment of the new deputy leader only required him to send a letter to the Assembly Speaker and made it clear that he would recommend the name of a CPI (M) leader for the post.

“Once the letter is given as directed by the Assembly Speaker, the deputy assembly leader will be appointed. There is no doubt that the name written in that letter will be that of a CPI (M) leader,” he said.

Asked about the CPI’s position, Vijayan said the party would eventually be convinced.

Further, Vijayan expressed concern over the alleged sharp rise in prices of essential commodities during the Onam season and accused the UDF government of failing to take effective measures to check inflation.

Prices of essential commodities have risen sharply, he claimed, pointing to increases in the prices of rice, sugar, vegetables, coconut oil and fruits.

The price of rice has increased by more than Rs 15 per kg, he alleged.

Vijayan said special mechanisms had been in place in the past to intervene in the market and recalled that the LDF government had not increased the prices of 13 essential commodities sold through Supplyco since 2016, with only nominal changes made towards the end of its second term.

He alleged that market intervention through Supplyco and ration shops had now become ineffective.

Similarly, he said, vegetables were earlier procured and distributed through Horticorp, but that system had also been discontinued.

Vijayan said his expectation that the government would at least intervene effectively during the Onam season had been proved wrong.

Turning to the state’s finances, Vijayan questioned Chief Minister V D Satheesan’s earlier claim that the financial situation would improve within three months of the new government assuming office.

He said the then Opposition had earlier criticised borrowing by the LDF government.

He said the then Opposition had claimed that financial indiscipline and extravagance were responsible for the borrowings and asked whether the government was borrowing now for the same reasons, calling upon the chief minister to clarify.

Vijayan said the LDF government had moved forward by increasing tax revenue through financial management.

He alleged that the then Opposition had tried to denigrate the government by focusing only on its borrowings without acknowledging the development achieved during its tenure.

Vijayan said those in power had a responsibility to strongly respond when constitutional authorities acted in violation of the Constitution.

He said Governor Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar’s actions, including summoning the DGP and appointing Vice-Chancellors at his discretion, were “unconstitutional”.

He said the previous LDF government had strongly opposed the governor’s interference in the powers of the state government, but alleged that the present UDF government was repeatedly showing allegiance to the Sangh Parivar and failing to take a strong stand against such actions. PTI LGK SSK

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular