scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndia‘Petrol langar’ announcement draws crowd in Chandigarh, event postponed after rain

‘Petrol langar’ announcement draws crowd in Chandigarh, event postponed after rain

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Chandigarh, Aug 19 (PTI) A man’s social media announcement about a “petrol langar” offering free fuel coupons drew a large crowd to a petrol station here, but the event was postponed after heavy rains lashed the city.

In a video uploaded on social media on Tuesday, Rakesh Trehan, also known as “Raja D King”, said he had planned to hold the “petrol langar” on August 18 but decided to postpone it after heavy rains, as he did not want people to face inconvenience.

Chandigarh was lashed by heavy rains on Tuesday.

Under the scheme, free petrol coupons worth Rs 500 were to be given to owners of two-wheelers and three-wheelers, and Rs 1,000 to four-wheeler owners.

In the video that surfaced on Tuesday evening, Trehan said he did not want people to get drenched in the rain and had decided to reschedule the event for Friday. He said the distribution would continue for three days until Sunday.

Despite the rains, a large number of people gathered near the designated petrol station in Sector 10 on Tuesday evening, based on the earlier announcement.

Several people who waited for hours alleged that no free fuel coupons were distributed.

“I reached here despite heavy rain. I have been waiting here for two hours, but no free coupon was given. Now, we are told that coupons will be given on Friday,” said a youth who had reached the petrol station.

Recently, Trehan had told reporters here that he wanted to donate 90 per cent of his wealth.

He had said he decided to donate most of the wealth inherited from his father as well as 90 per cent of his own wealth. He also said he had been a crypto trader and had earlier invested in the stock market.

Trehan had also recently distributed food items along with Rs 500 currency notes to several needy people here and claimed that he would distribute iPhones next. PTI SUN MDO MDO MDO

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular