scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaKerala Cabinet approves Sidharthan Distress App, plans anti-ragging law

Kerala Cabinet approves Sidharthan Distress App, plans anti-ragging law

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Thiruvananthapuram, Jul 22 (PTI) The Kerala Cabinet on Wednesday approved the launch of the ‘Sidharthan Distress App’ to help prevent ragging in educational institutions and facilitate prompt reporting of complaints, Chief Minister V D Satheesan said.

The app is named after J S Sidharthan, a 20-year-old veterinary student from Nedumangad, who allegedly died by suicide in February 2024 after being subjected to ragging by fellow students at the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Pookode in Wayanad.

Addressing a press conference after the Cabinet meeting, Satheesan said the government has noticed an increase in incidents of ragging on college campuses.

He said the Cabinet has decided to bring in an anti-ragging law in the name of Sidharthan, a decision that had been announced in the UDF manifesto and the revised state Budget for 2026-27.

“The government has decided to introduce the Sidharthan Distress App so that complaints related to ragging can be promptly brought to the notice of the authorities concerned,” the Chief Minister said.

The revised Kerala Budget 2026-27, presented by the Congress-led UDF government last month, had proposed the introduction of the app and an anti-ragging law in Sidharthan’s name to curb ragging in educational institutions.

In his Budget speech in the Assembly, Satheesan had said, “To prevent ragging in educational institutions in Kerala, the ‘Sidharthan Student Distress App’ will be introduced, and an anti-ragging law in Sidharthan’s name will be enacted to prevent ragging and ensure student welfare.” PTI LGK ROH

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular