scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaHimachal: 5 classes take turns in one room as govt school building...

Himachal: 5 classes take turns in one room as govt school building declared unsafe

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Nurpur (HP), Aug 20 (PTI) Classes for 33 students across five grades of a school in Himachal Pradesh’s Kangra district are being conducted in a single “safe room” after the school building was declared unsafe amid the monsoon season, authorities said on Thursday.

Two teachers are taking all the classes in shifts due to a shortage of space at Government Primary School, Khairiyan, in Nurpur subdivision, they said.

Panchayat representatives, members of the school management committee and locals have raised concerns over the condition of the building. Head teacher Kewal Singh said five classes are being taught alternately in the safe room.

Principal Ajay Gupta said the safety of the children remained the primary concern. He said the education department has been approached several times, but only assurances have been received so far.

Block Elementary Education Officer Veena Sharma said the school building had been declared unsafe and a report had been forwarded to higher authorities. “Once funds are made available, the old building will be demolished and a new one constructed,” she said.

The school building was constructed around 1954-55 and has deteriorated over the years. The only room currently considered safe has just one window, making it difficult to accommodate students from all five classes, school authorities said.

Locals said ownership of the land on which the school stands is another hurdle. The land is recorded in the name of the Forest Department rather than the Education Department, they said, demanding that it be transferred to the Education Department so that funds for a new school building can be sanctioned. PTI COR BPL SKY SKY

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular