New Delhi: The central government Tuesday decided to cancel the Class 12 board exams conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) due to the aggressive second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was taken after a high-level meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
“In view of the uncertain conditions due to Covid and the feedback obtained from various stakeholders, it was decided that Class 12 board exams would not be held this year,” noted a press statement by the Ministry of Education.
It was decided that CBSE will take steps to compile the results of Class 12 students according to a “well-defined objective criteria” in a time-bound manner.
It was also decided that like last year, in case some students desire to take the exams, such an option would be provided to them by CBSE, whenever the situation becomes conducive to do so.
During the meeting, PM Modi said that the decision on Class 12 CBSE board exams has been taken in the interest of students.
He said that Covid-19 has affected the academic calendar and the issue of board exams has been causing immense anxiety among students, parents and teachers, which must be put to an end.
“PM said that the Covid situation is a dynamic situation across the country. While the numbers are coming down in the country and some states are managing the situation through effective micro-containment, some states have still opted for a lockdown. Students, parents and teachers are naturally worried about the health of the students in such a situation,” the statement added.
Modi further noted that all stakeholders need to show sensitivity towards students.
Several rounds of meetings on Class 12 board exams
There have been several rounds of discussion regarding the Class 12 board exams this year.
The PM had earlier held a meeting on the matter on 21 May. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also chaired another meeting on 23 May, where the education ministers of all states were present. They were asked for feedback on possibly conducting the board exams.
The decision to cancel the board exams has been taken after wide consultation, ministry officials said.
The Tuesday meeting was attended by Home Minister Amit Shah, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal among other union ministers. The principal secretary to the PM, cabinet secretary and secretaries of school education, higher education departments and other officials were also part of the meeting.