scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaCong decision to stick to 2 paras of Vande Mataram 'appeasement', defiance...

Cong decision to stick to 2 paras of Vande Mataram ‘appeasement’, defiance of law, says Shah

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Chennai, Aug 20 (PTI) Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday launched a scathing attack against the Congress, saying the party’s decision to sing just two stanzas of Vande Mataram was aimed at the appeasement of its vote bank in defiance of the law.

Referring to the Congress Working Committee’s decision on Wednesday to sing only two paras of the national song, instead of its full rendition, Shah traced the history of Partition and emphasised the consequences suffered by the nation following the truncation of Vande Mataram.

In a statement posted on X, Shah said, “In 1937, for the sake of appeasement, it was the Congress itself that fragmented Vande Mataram into two parts.” “From there, the two-nation theory gained strength, leading to the partition of the country. On the 150th anniversary of Vande Mataram, the Modi government corrected this historic mistake and gave the full song legal form. But under Rahul Gandhi’s leadership, the Congress is once again treading the path of appeasement for the sake of its vote bank,” Shah said.

The mistake of fragmenting Vande Mataram had already happened once, and the nation had suffered its consequences, he said.

“This is an appeal to the countrymen to unite and raise their voices against this appeasement by the Congress,” he added.

The CWC on Wednesday decided to abide by the 1937 resolution of its highest decision-making body on Vande Mataram, saying only two stanzas of the national song would be sung at all party events henceforth.

BJP president Nitin Nabin slammed the Congress, alleging that the opposition party had become the “new Muslim League” for the sake of votes. PTI VGN VGN SA SAP SAP SAP

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular