scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndia46 militants of banned KCP (Taibanganba) surrender before police in Manipur

46 militants of banned KCP (Taibanganba) surrender before police in Manipur

Follow Us :
Text Size:

Imphal, Aug 18 (PTI) Manipur Chief Minister Y Khemchand Singh on Tuesday said 46 militants belonging to the proscribed Kangleipak Communist Party (Taibanganba) surrendered before the police, and assured them of providing assistance so that they can earn a livelihood.

The members of the banned Kangleipak Communist Party (Taibanganba) laid down their arms at a “Homecoming Ceremony” organised by the state government at the 1st Manipur Rifles parade ground here.

Addressing the gathering, Singh said, “I think as a result of a conflict that broke out three years ago, many took up arms. I warmly welcome KCP (Taibanganba) and the group members, who laid down their arms. They understood that arms cannot bring progressive development.” The chief minister was referring to the ethnic violence that erupted in the state between the Meitei and Kuki-Zo communities on May 3, 2023. The clashes left at least 260 people dead and thousands of others homeless, forcing them to live in relief camps across the region.

The CM said the surrender of 46 members of the banned outfit was effected under the revised surrender-cum-rehabilitation policy of 2018.

The government will also provide assistance of skill development programmes to help them get a suitable livelihood.

“A state can develop only when there is peace and security and with strengthening of police administration. A peaceful land can come when sections of people drop the desire to take up arms,” Singh said.

Forty-six militants of the banned Kangleipak Communist Party (People’s War Group) surrendered before security forces in Manipur last month.

In his address, Director General of Police Mukesh Singh said that by giving up armed activities, the cadres have chosen to return to their families, communities and duties as citizens.

He said that Manipur Police will continue to perform its constitutional duties with firmness.

At the same time, for those who truly give up violence and want to rejoin society, the police will support the legal process of surrender, verification and rehabilitation, the police officer said.

The DGP also asked the surrendered cadres to remain fully committed to their decision, as the “success of this homecoming will not be judged by today’s event, but by how they behave in future”. PTI CORR BDC NN

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular