scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeFeaturesAndy Burnham was texting a fake Trump chief of staff. UK raises...

Andy Burnham was texting a fake Trump chief of staff. UK raises matter with White House

Andy Burnham was exchanging messages with Susie Wiles well before he became UK prime minister last month.

Follow Us :
Text Size:

New Delhi: UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone impersonating Susie Wiles, chief of staff to US President Donald Trump. The exchange was first reported by Politico, citing four anonymous officials, and has since been confirmed.

The messages began before Burnham became prime minister, and continued after he took office on 20 July. He grew suspicious partway through and stopped replying. The contact never went beyond text messages. There was no phone call or video conversation.

People briefed on the matter said nothing significant was conveyed. Once the exchange looked suspicious, it was reported to the relevant authorities.

Downing Street would not go into detail. When approached by the BBC, a government spokesperson said, “We do not comment on national security matters.”

The bigger worry inside the British government is that Wiles may have been hacked again. The UK embassy in Washington has raised the matter with the White House. Whether this incident is connected to that earlier breach last year is still unknown.

The last time, unknown individuals gained access to contacts stored on Wiles’ personal phone. They used the contacts to message senior US officials while posing as her. Senators, governors, and business executives were among those contacted. The FBI opened an investigation. At the time, a White House spokesperson said the administration was taking the matter seriously.

Burnham took office in July and is yet to meet Trump in person, though the two have spoken over the phone. 

Posers and politicians

In a similar episode in 2024, David Cameron, then UK foreign secretary, exchanged texts with someone posing as former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko. A hoax video call had already convinced him the contact was genuine. The Foreign Office later said it disclosed the incident publicly because it feared the exchange could be manipulated.

A different pair of British ministers ran into a similar problem in 2022. Ben Wallace and Priti Patel both received calls from someone posing as Denys Shmyhal, then Ukrainian prime minister. Wallace, for his part, blamed Russian interference.

(Edited by Prasanna Bachchhav)


Also read: Can Instagram make you forget your face? What new research shows


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular