scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Friday, August 21, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeDefencePakistan’s claim on 3 Rafales shot down 'inaccurate', better than F-35 &...

Pakistan’s claim on 3 Rafales shot down ‘inaccurate’, better than F-35 & Chinese fighters—Dassault CEO

Pakistan claimed it shot down 6 Indian fighter jets—including 3 Rafales—during Operation Sindoor. The French aircraft manufacturer Dassault makes the Rafale.

Follow Us :
Text Size:

New Delhi: French aircraft manufacturer Dassault Aviation’s chief executive officer Eric Trappier rejected as “inaccurate” Pakistan’s claims of having shot down three Indian Rafale fighter jets during Operation Sindoor last month.

Asserting that the Rafale was better than the American F-35 and “much better” than all the Chinese aircraft in the market, the CEO of the firm which makes the Rafale said a mission’s success is not about zero losses but about fulfilling objectives.

“The Indians haven’t communicated, so we don’t know exactly what happened. What we already know is that what the Pakistanis are saying (three Rafales destroyed) is inaccurate,” he said in an interview to French magazine Challenges ahead of the Paris Air Show.

He added, “Furthermore, when you operate combat aircraft, you are fulfilling a mission. Mission success isn’t about having zero losses; it’s about having achieved your objectives.”

Trappier pointed out that during the Second World War, it wasn’t said that the Allies lost the war because they lost troops.

“We’ll see if there were losses or not, and if the war aims were achieved. When the truth comes out, some may be surprised,” he said.

Asked about Rafale’s performance in comparison to other fighter jets, the Dassault CEO said the Rafale is indeed the best aircraft in the world, “better than the F-35 and much better than all the Chinese aircraft in the market”.

“It perfectly meets the needs of the French armed forces and the countries that have purchased it,” he said.

Pakistan has claimed downing a total of six Indian fighter jets including three Rafales during Operation Sindoor.

Chief of Defence Staff Gen Anil Chauhan has also denied the Pakistani claims of six aircraft being shot down as “absolutely incorrect”. However, he admitted to losses but underlined that mission objectives was the focus and they were achieved.

India had 7 May struck terror camps deep inside Pakistan and this was followed up by precision strikes on multiple Pakistan airbases and military installations after Islamabad attempted to hit Indian cities.

(Edited by Ajeet Tiwari)


Also Read: Op Sindoor: Did we achieve our military objective? ‘A thumping yes,’ says IAF, killed over 100 terrorists


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular