Representational image taken from the southern bank of Pangong Tso, looking across to the 'fingers' on the northern bank | Photo: Visharad Saxena | By special arrangement
Representational image taken from the southern bank of Pangong Tso, looking across to the 'fingers' on the northern bank | Photo: Visharad Saxena | By special arrangement
Text Size:

New Delhi: The China Study Group is set to meet later Monday evening to review the outcome of the 5th round of corps commanders-level talks between India and China, which continued for 10 and a half hours Sunday and focused on the contentious disengagement in Pangong Tso in Eastern Ladakh.

Sources in the defence and security establishment said the talks began at the Moldo meeting point on the Chinese side at about 11 am and lasted till 9.30 pm — comparatively shorter than the earlier one that took place on 14 July and lasted nearly 15 hours.

The sources remained tightlipped about the outcome of the Sunday meeting, saying 14 Corps Commander Lt Gen Harinder Singh had left for Leh in the morning, and that there would be subsequent de-briefing at various levels.

They said focus of the talks was the disengagement at Pangong Tso, where the Chinese continue to remain in large numbers within 8 km into the Line of Actual Control on the Indian side, as was reported by ThePrint earlier.

Army Chief Gen M.M. Naravane is expected to brief Defence Minister Rajnath Singh later in the day before attending the China Study Group meeting in the evening.

Any statement by India on the talks will come only after discussion at various levels, said the sources.


Also read: What South China Sea arbitration is, and why Australia, India are getting more vocal about it


 

Chinese build-up continues

Sources had earlier said Chinese build-up in the hinterland continues even as both sides are engaged in disengagement talks at the military, diplomatic and official levels.

Though India continues to insist on ‘April status quo’ during talks and in public statements, it looks more difficult now in comparison to when the stand-off started in early May.

“The Chinese are really not showing any kind of inclination to go back to the status quo ante. There has been disengagement in the Galwan Valley and Hot Springs area. However, there is no guarantee that the Chinese will not come back. Pangong Tso continues to be a trouble spot,” a source had told ThePrint.

The fear is that current positions could become the new status quo, something that Indian Army wants to avoid.

Critical areas where the Chinese continue to have an upper hand are the Pangong Tso and Depsang Plains areas.

India is going in for a number of emergency procurement, which includes weapons and high-altitude clothing for the over 30,000 extra troops deployed in forward locations because of the tensions with China.


Also read: With India-US badly coordinated in Indian Ocean, China-Iran naval ties now a fresh concern


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Why news media is in crisis & How you can fix it

India needs free, fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism even more as it faces multiple crises.

But the news media is in a crisis of its own. There have been brutal layoffs and pay-cuts. The best of journalism is shrinking, yielding to crude prime-time spectacle.

ThePrint has the finest young reporters, columnists and editors working for it. Sustaining journalism of this quality needs smart and thinking people like you to pay for it. Whether you live in India or overseas, you can do it here.

Support Our Journalism

4 Comments Share Your Views

4 COMMENTS

  1. The China Study Group should ask itself the following :

    If we say that Fingers 1 to 8 are our territory, how did we allow the Chinese to build a road from Finger 8 to 4 on what we say is our land ? Were we not aware of road building going on ?
    We were quick to stall the Chinese at Doklam , on Bhutan territory . How come we didn’t send our troops to forestall the Chines e on OUR OWN land ?
    If we built the road from Finger 8 to 4 , that is even worse , since we were unable to defend the road and get advance information about Chinese intentions. What were our patrols in the area really doing ?
    Or do we accept what the PM said that not an inch has been occupied and therefore Fingers 4 to 8 are not our territory ?

  2. Modi government has already surrendered the land to Chinese. There is no intention to get back. Just pleading Chinese with folded hands to go back will only embolden them .Modi strong man image seems all fake and China is using it fullest.

  3. The Chinese simply cannot maintain such a massive troop build up during the freezing winters. We must remember that the Chinese supply line has to cross the whole of Tibet – a vast wilderness where hardly a grass grows. In comparison, Indian Army’s supply lines are much more convenient – Srinagar is barely 200 kms away.
    That will be our opportunity to take back what is rightfully ours. When the Chinese return in the summer, they should see our soldiers occupying the key positions.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here