scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Thursday, August 20, 2026
Support Our Journalism
HomeWorldZimbabwe ferry death toll reaches 94 as government confirms it was over...

Zimbabwe ferry death toll reaches 94 as government confirms it was over capacity

Follow Us :
Text Size:

HARARE, Aug 18 (Reuters) – A government-owned ferry that capsized on Zimbabwe’s Lake Kariba last week was carrying about 180 passengers, double what police had given as its capacity, the government said on Tuesday, as the death toll rose to 94.

State-controlled newspaper The Herald said it was the deadliest transport disaster in the Southern African country’s history, surpassing a 1991 bus crash that claimed 89 lives.

The boat was travelling from the town of Kariba in northern Zimbabwe to a remote rural community on the lake when it capsized after being struck by strong waves.

The ferry was only meant to carry 90 passengers, police said last week. While the government statement did not say the maximum number that should have been on board, it said the 180 passengers and goods exceeded “its carrying capacity”.

Police on Tuesday put the death toll, which has risen steadily over the week since the capsize, at 94.

Some 77 people have been rescued so far, while search and recovery operations continue, the government said in the statement released after a cabinet meeting.

Lake Kariba, on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, is one of the world’s largest man-made reservoirs.

(Reporting by Chris Takudzwa Muronzi;Writing by Nilutpal Timsina;Editing by Alexander Winning and Alison Williams)

Disclaimer: This report is auto generated from the Reuters news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular