scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Friday, August 21, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeWorldMexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

Mexican governor accused by US of cartel ties returns to office

Follow Us :
Text Size:

MEXICO CITY, Aug 21 (Reuters) – The governor of Mexico’s Sinaloa state, Ruben Rocha, returned to office on Friday after taking leave for more than three months following U.S. drug trafficking charges alleging ties to the Sinaloa Cartel, a move likely to deepen strains between Mexico and the United States.

Rocha, 77, a member of Mexico’s ruling Morena party, said he was resuming his duties after Mexican authorities found no evidence to support the accusations against him.

In a statement posted on X, Rocha denied wrongdoing and cast the U.S. case as a politically motivated attack on Mexico’s sovereignty and on the leftist movement led by President Claudia Sheinbaum.

The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mexico has so far declined to act on U.S. efforts to bring Rocha into custody, saying Washington has not provided sufficient evidence to justify domestic arrest warrants or extradition.

For U.S. officials, the April indictment marked a rare expansion of anti-cartel action beyond drug bosses to include a sitting senior Mexican politician.

U.S. prosecutors alleged Rocha and nine other current and former officials conspired with a faction of the Sinaloa Cartel known as Los Chapitos, helping it traffic drugs into the United States in exchange for political support and bribes.

Rocha has repeatedly denied the allegations. He stepped aside temporarily in early May as Mexican authorities reviewed the case, and said on Friday he was returning with his “head held high.”

(Reporting by Diego Ore and Kylie Madry; Editing by Daina Beth Solomon)

Disclaimer: This report is auto generated from the Reuters news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular