scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Friday, August 21, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaVolunteer at Delhi’s Kalkaji temple beaten to death over prasad. ‘They insisted...

Volunteer at Delhi’s Kalkaji temple beaten to death over prasad. ‘They insisted on being served 1st’

35-year-old man from UP’s Hardoi had been working at Kalkaji temple for 15 years, was killed when he asked group of men to wait for ‘prasad’. Police have arrested 1 of the attackers.

Follow Us :
Text Size:

New Delhi: An argument over ‘prasad’ has led to the death of a 35-year-old sewadar (temple volunteer) at the famous Kalkaji Temple in south Delhi.

Police sources said, there was an argument when a group of men demanded ‘chunni prasad’ (religious offering) after prayers at the temple on the night of 29 August, and the situation escalated quickly. A video that has now gone viral shows a group of men
attacking and beating the victim with rods.

The police were called in at 9.30 pm, and the victim taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre by locals. He died during treatment.

One of the alleged attackers, 30-year-old Atul Pandey, was arrested on the spot. Further investigation is underway to identify and apprehend the other attackers. The police have filed an FIR for murder and ‘common intention’ under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita at the Kalkaji police station.

The victim has been identified as Yogendra Singh from Hardoi, in Uttar Pradesh. He had been serving as a sewadar at the Kalkaji Temple for the past 14–15 years.

“They had iron rods and sticks, and they beat him to death. They were asking for
‘prasad’, and Yogesh asked them to wait a few minutes. Instead, they started
getting angry and threatening him,” Raju, another sewadar at the temple told ANI.

“The group always came to the temple with an aggressive attitude. They insisted
on being served first and never followed the queue,” said another sewadar at the temple.

Further investigation is underway. “The accused are being identified, and efforts are being made to apprehend them,” reads a statement released by Hemant Tiwari, DCP, South-East Delhi.

(Edited by Viny Mishra)


Also read: India condemns violence at Hindu temple in Canada, demands action against culprits


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular