Patna, Aug 18 (PTI) RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav on Tuesday expressed apprehension about “excessive use of force” by the administration during the party’s march to Lok Bhavan on August 19 over police action against students agitating against NEET question paper leaks in Bihar last month.
At a press conference, he claimed student leaders were being “rounded up” and “many youths may be prevented from boarding trains” to join the march.
Earlier in the day, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad called for a march to the Lok Bhavan against the “dictatorial attitude” of the state government that “responds to democratic demands with bullets from an AK-47”.
Tejashwi Yadav, who is the leader of the opposition in the Bihar Assembly, said, “We have learnt that the police has picked up many student leaders in Patna and they might stop youths from boarding trains tomorrow when they are likely to join us in large numbers.” “Our spirits are not down, but we do suspect that tomorrow police may take recourse to excessive use of force like it had done against students in the recent past,” the RJD working president said.
He demanded an inquiry to ascertain “on whose orders” a police constable in Siwan district “opened fire from an AK-47” during the state-wide student protest on July 25.
A police constable was suspended after a video purportedly showing him using an AK-47 rifle during a student protest in Bihar’s Siwan district on July 25 against an NEET exam paper leak went viral on social media.
Police officers had said no one was injured in the firing, and an inquiry has been initiated as there were clear instructions to the police force not to open fire during the demonstration.
Yadav said, “The constable has been suspended, but that is not enough. On whose orders was he able to carry an AK-47 rifle must be known, and those higher officials too must also be taken to task.” Upping the ante against the BJP-led government in the state, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad took to X to say, “All students and young people are distressed by paper leaks, the deteriorating education system, a biased recruitment process and unemployment.” “Instead of listening to their democratic demands, the arrogant government, built on a system of corruption and exploitation, responds by firing bullets from AK-47s. This is unjust. Everyone should unite in Patna on August 19 against this dictatorship and dictatorial attitude of the state government.” Incidentally, the Bihar government on Tuesday made a major reshuffle in the police administration, transferring 18 IPS officers, including Siwan Superintendent of Police Pooran Kumar Jha.
The ruling BJP, however, took a potshot at Yadav, saying the march had been planned “to save the political career” of the leader of the opposition.
State BJP chief Sanjay Saraogi referred to Lalu Prasad’s X post to say, “It is now an open secret that the RJD rank and file has lost trust in Tejashwi Yadav’s leadership, a reason why his ageing and unwell father is making an appeal on his behalf.
“The march is nothing but an attempt to save the political career of the heir apparent,” Saraogi said.
On July 25, members of Left-wing student organisations had staged demonstrations and clashed with police in several districts in support of the Bihar Bandh called against the NEET paper leak and police action on protesting students.
The bandh had turned violent in Patna, Saran, Siwan, Aurangabad, Bhagalpur, Sitamarhi, Purnia and Bhojpur, while Samastipur, Nawada, Nalanda, Madhubani and Sheikhpura witnessed mild protests.
Protesters pelted stones and bricks at police personnel at Dak Bungalow crossing in Patna, following which several students were detained. PTI NAC NSD
This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

