scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, August 22, 2026

Support our Journalism

9th Anniversary: Free Tote & Mug

Subscribe
HomeIndiaKin of 2 workers who died in east Delhi sewage treatment plant...

Kin of 2 workers who died in east Delhi sewage treatment plant get Rs 10 L cheques from Sisodia

Follow Us :
Text Size:

New Delhi, Apr 7 (PTI) Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Thursday handed over cheques of Rs 10 lakh each to the kin of two workers who died after they fell into a six-foot-deep pit while working at a sewage treatment plant in east Delhi last week.

Sisodia visited the homes of the victims, handed over the cheques and assured them of a job in the Delhi Jal Board, an official statement said.

One of the workers — Yashdev — was a resident of Biharipur in Delhi while Nitesh belonged to Bulandshahr.

“The void left behind in the families of Nitesh and Yashdev cannot be filled up by any compensation amount but the government will do everything to support their families.

“We will provide jobs to a member in each family in order to help them regain the track of their lives. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal directed me to personally meet with the families of the victims and asked me to ensure that they should not face any problem in getting the compensation.” Noting that the Kondli incident was “extremely distressing and painful”, Sisodia said they will ensure the strictest punishment for those guilty.

“The death of the victims is a very painful incident. The government is getting the whole Kondli STP accident investigated. Strictest action will be taken against the culprits.

“The Delhi government has made very stringent rules and regulations for cleaning of sewers, but sometimes contractors violate the rules and take the labourers into the sewer without following the safety guidelines. The Delhi government will make sure that no such incident is repeated in the future,” he said. PTI SLB SLB TDS TDS

This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Nine Years, Made Possible by Readers

In 2017, Shekhar Gupta started ThePrint with a simple belief: Indian readers want journalism that asks why and what next, not just what. And that enough of them would be willing to pay for good journalism.

Nine years on, that belief has held.

And, in these nine years, we’ve stayed true to our mission. We’ve been asking the follow-up questions, going beyond the headlines and explaining what’s actually happening. We’ve travelled across the country to bring you in-depth, visually-compelling stories from the ground.

It’s been nine years of readers choosing to make this possible. If you’d like to be one of them:

Support ThePrint

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular