scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Monday, February 16, 2026

Thailand launches airstrikes at disputed border with Cambodia, Trump-led ceasefire in jeopardy

Date:

Share post:

New Delhi: Thailand launched airstrikes across the border in Cambodia Monday, as the ceasefire signed by the two countries through the mediation of US President Donald Trump unravelled. It cited activities from Cambodia that “could pose a threat to the Thai border area” as the reason for its action.

“According to operational assessments, Cambodia had mobilised heavy weaponry, repositioned combat units, and prepared fire-support elements—activities that could escalate military operations and pose a threat to the Thai border area. These developments prompted the use of air power to deter and reduce Cambodia’s military capabilities to the minimum level necessary to safeguard national security and protect civilians,” the government of Thailand said in a statement.

“The RTAF (Royal Thai Air Force) emphasised that all missions were executed with caution, targeting only military infrastructure, weapons depots, command centres, and logistical routes assessed as direct threats. Post-strike assessments were carried out to ensure compliance with international standards governing the right of self-defence under the UN Charter, as well as the principles of necessity and proportionality.”

Both countries have accused the other of breaching the ceasefire—the agreement for which was signed in October on the margins of the ASEAN Summit in the presence of Trump and Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim in Kuala Lumpur.

In a statement, the Cambodian ministry of defence said that it had not retaliated against the strikes, adding that the strikes followed days of provocative action from the Thai armed forces. Bangkok highlighted that there was cross-border shelling.

The Cambodian military announced that at least three persons had been injured, so far.


Also Read: Trump’s new national security strategy: China a threat, India a critical partner, Europe in ‘decline’


Thailand blames Cambodia 

The Thai armed forces Sunday blamed Cambodia for targeting its engineering unit in the South-Eastern Sisaket province. At least two Thai soldiers were injured in the attacks, according to a statement from Bangkok.

“Major General Winthai Suvaree, army spokesperson, stated that the incident occurred while Thai forces were carrying out a mission to improve a road within Thai sovereign territory. A group of Cambodian soldiers opened fire on the security team protecting the Thai engineering unit working on the road. Thai forces then returned fire, leading to a clash that lasted about 15-20 minutes,” the Thai statement said.

“He confirmed that Cambodian forces initiated the use of weapons first, with the apparent aim of causing Thai casualties and losses. This was similar to Cambodia’s repeated practice of secretly planting landmines inside Thai sovereign territory, intended to obstruct Thailand’s operations to clear mines and improve routes for security missions along the border.”

One of the Thai soldiers was shot in the leg, while the other was shot in the chest, but protected by bulletproof vest, according to the statement. Villagers in four border provinces—Buriram, Surin, Sisaket and Ubon Ratchathani—were evacuated to designated shelters Sunday.

Breakdown of Trump-led ceasefire

Clashes first broke out in July in the historically contested “Emerald Region” that houses 1,000-year-old Hindu temples. The border issues have existed for over a century.

The July clashes killed over 40 people, and left at least 300,000 people internally displaced, according to media reports. Trump called the leaders of both countries, who agreed to commit to a ceasefire on 28 July.

On 26 October, the leaders of Thailand and Cambodia signed an enhanced agreement in the presence of Trump, with Phnom Penh nominating the US President for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts.

Two weeks later, on 11 November, Bangkok announced that it was suspending the agreement following the maiming of a Thai soldier in a landmine blast that it blamed on Cambodia. A day later, at least one person was reported killed in Cambodia as both neighbours blamed the other for the failure of the peace deal.

The airstrikes are the latest escalation in the crisis, which saw the Thai government led by Paetongtarn Shinawatra fall in August after leaked calls with Cambodian leader Hun Sen were released to the press.

Anwar Ibrahim, who was part of the ceasefire negotiations, Monday called for restraint from both countries. The Malaysian Prime Minister has called for both sides to return to diplomacy to prevent a further breakdown in the ceasefire. Both Thailand and Cambodia are members of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

(Edited by Nida Fatima Siddiqui)


Also Read: India-Thailand set for strategic partnership, Bangkok keen on deeper military cooperation—Indian envoy


 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Myanmar expels East Timor envoy after rights group complaint against junta

Feb 16 (Reuters) - Myanmar has ordered the head of East Timor's diplomatic mission to leave the country within seven days, state media quoted the foreign ministry as saying on Monday, in an escalating

US conducts first air transport of nuclear microreactor in bid to show technology’s viability

By Valerie Volcovici HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah, Feb 15 - The U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense on Sunday for the first time transported a small nuclear reactor on a cargo plane from California to

Wild New Zealand storm disrupts transport, leaves thousands without power

By Renju Jose SYDNEY, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Heavy rain and strong winds disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand's North Island on Monday,

North Korea’s Kim to tout power and military gains at party congress

By Heejin Kim and Kyu-seok Shim SEOUL, Feb 13 (Reuters) - North Korea will convene the Ninth Party Congress this month, a major political undertaking aimed at showcasing leader Kim Jong Un's absolute