New Delhi: Police in the UK have arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, Duke of York, on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
He was taken into custody from Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, the country retreat of King Charles III and Queen Camilla. Andrew had relocated to Marsh Farm, part of Sandringham Estate, after being booted out from the Royal Lodge in Windsor earlier this month.
The arrest, which coincided with Andrew’s 66th birthday, came days after the police launched an investigation into claims that he shared sensitive information with convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein while serving as trade envoy of the UK. Andrew’s name also featured prominently in the ‘Epstein Files’, the disgraced financier’s correspondence released by the US Department of Justice under the Epstein Files Transparency Act.
Without naming Andrew, Thames Valley Police in a statement issued Thursday said they arrested “a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk”. The statement added that the police will not be naming the arrested man, “as per national guidance”.
It also quoted Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright as saying: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Asked about Andrew, Keir Starmer, the UK’s prime minister, told the BBC Thursday morning, before the arrest, that “nobody is above the law”.
“I think that’s a matter for the police. They will conduct their own investigations, but one of the core principles in our system is that everybody is equal under the law and nobody is above the law,” he added.
Buckingham Palace had said in a statement last week King Charles would cooperate fully with any police probe into Andrew. A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said: “The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.”
“While the specific claims in question are for Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect,” added the spokesperson.
Epstein was convicted in 2008 on charges of procuring a child for prostitution. He served a little over a year in prison before being released. He was arrested again in July 2019 and died in a Manhattan prison on 10 August 2019, while awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking of minors and conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of minors.
Andrew was reportedly introduced to Epstein in 1999, through Epstein’s partner Ghislaine Maxwell. In 2010, he was photographed visiting Epstein in New York after the latter’s release from prison. Five years later, court documents in Florida related to Epstein revealed that a woman said she was forced to have sex with Andrew at Maxwell’s home in London.
The woman, Virginia Giuffre, also said Andrew sexually assaulted her twice more, once at Epstein’s New York home and a second time on Epstein’s private island in the Caribbean, when she was 17.
In November 2019, Andrew stepped back from public duties following an interview with the BBC during which he claimed to have “no recollection” of ever having met Giuffre. His challenge to a sexual abuse civil lawsuit brought against him by Giuffre was dismissed by a New York judge in January 2022. That same month, Queen Elizabeth II stripped him of several military affiliations and royal patronages.
In February that year, around the time Andrew was supposed to give evidence under oath, Andrew reached a settlement in principle with Giuffre. He also stated in a court filing that he regretted his association with Epstein.
He was stripped of the title ‘Duke of York’ and other titles and honours in October 2025 as scrutiny expanded over the depth of his association with Epstein.
Andrew has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing or accusations against him.
Giuffre’s siblings welcomed the arrest, telling CBS News Thursday, “At last, no one is above the law, not even royalty. Virginia did this for survivors everywhere.”
“On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you,” Virginia’s siblings added.
Giuffre died by suicide in April 2025.
This is an updated version of the report
Also Read: ‘Will learn a lot from u’—excerpts from Anil Ambani & Jeffrey Epstein chats featuring Modi, Trump

