scorecardresearch
Add as a preferred source on Google
Saturday, November 29, 2025
Support Our Journalism
HomeWorldHong Kong mourns victims of apartment blaze that killed 128 and counting

Hong Kong mourns victims of apartment blaze that killed 128 and counting

Follow Us :
Text Size:

By John Geddie and Farah Master
HONG KONG (Reuters) -Hong Kong’s leaders oversaw a ceremony on Saturday to mourn the at least 128 people killed in a high-rise apartment complex fire, a toll that is likely to rise further with 200 others still unaccounted for days after the tragedy.

Authorities have arrested 11 people in connection with the city’s worst blaze in nearly 80 years as they investigate possible corruption and the use of unsafe materials during renovations at the Wang Fuk Court complex.

Rescue operations at the site in the district of Tai Po, near the border with mainland China, concluded on Friday, though police say they may find more bodies as they search the burnt-out buildings as part of ongoing investigations.

The fire started on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly engulfed seven of the eight 32-storey blocks at the complex, which were wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh and layered with foam insulation for the renovations.

Authorities have said the fire alarms at the estate, home to more than 4600 people, had not been working properly.

SEARCH FOR BODIES CONTINUES

Hong Kong leader John Lee, other officials and civil servants, all dressed in black, stood in silence for three minutes early on Saturday outside the central government offices, where flags were lowered to half-mast.

The officials then signed a condolence book for the dead.

At Wang Fuk Court, police officers from the disaster victim identification unit, wearing oxygen masks and helmets, prepared to enter the charred building to continue their search for remains.

Families there had the grim task of looking at photographs of the dead taken by rescue workers. Security Chief Tang said on Friday that only 39 of the 128 dead had been identified.

Hong Kong’s Lee has said the government would set up a HK$300 million ($39 million) fund to help residents while some of China’s biggest listed companies have pledged donations.

Hundreds of volunteers have also mobilised to help the victims, sorting and distributing items from diapers to hot food.

They formed teams to collect, transport and distribute goods in round-the-clock shifts and have set up a sprawling support camp for displaced residents beside a shopping mall across from the complex.

At least two of the dead were domestic workers from Indonesia, the country’s consulate said. Dozens of domestic workers from the Philippines were also caught up in the disaster and 19 were still missing, said Edwina Antonio, executive director at migrant women refuge association Bethune House.

Hong Kong has around 368,000 domestic workers, mostly women from low-income Asian countries who live with their employers, often in cramped spaces.

DEADLIEST BLAZE SINCE 1948

The fire is Hong Kong’s deadliest since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse blaze, and has prompted comparisons to London’s Grenfell Tower inferno, which killed 72 people in 2017.

Residents of the housing complex were told by authorities last year that they faced “relatively low fire risks” after complaining repeatedly about fire hazards posed by ongoing renovation works, the city’s Labour Department told Reuters.

The residents had raised concerns in September 2024, including about the potential flammability of the protective green mesh contractors had used to cover the bamboo scaffolding, a department spokesperson said.

Hong Kong’s anti-graft body said it had arrested eight individuals on Friday including an engineering consultant, a scaffolding subcontractor, and an intermediary. 

Earlier, police arrested two directors and an engineering consultant of Prestige Construction, a firm identified by the government as doing maintenance on Wang Fuk Court for more than a year on suspicion of manslaughter for using unsafe materials, including flammable foam boards blocking windows.

Prestige did not answer repeated calls for comment.

(Reporting by John Geddie, Farah Master, Artorn Pookasook and Yuddy Cahya Budiman in Hong Kong; Editing by Stephen Coates)

Disclaimer: This report is auto generated from the Reuters news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube, Telegram & WhatsApp

Support Our Journalism

India needs fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism, packed with on-ground reporting. ThePrint – with exceptional reporters, columnists and editors – is doing just that.

Sustaining this needs support from wonderful readers like you.

Whether you live in India or overseas, you can take a paid subscription by clicking here.

Support Our Journalism

  • Tags

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular