India has taken lessons from her dark colonial past where it was mainly used as a feeder for the Industrial Revolutions. One of the major focuses after Independence was rebuilding the Engineering sector both in the factories and in the colleges. In 2022, India is on the cusp of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and is poised to be a leader.
The industrial sector constitutes about 25% of India’s GDP in 2021 which has increased from 14% in 1950. Engineering constitutes the largest share of the Industrial sector. About 27% of total factories are in the industrial sector, representing 63% of the overall foreign collaborations.
India has over 2500 Engineering colleges. Indian engineers are getting hired in various job roles ranging from project delivery to process performance. There is an increase of 300% in hiring for engineering job roles in 2021-2022.
Students must choose their BTech Courses while keeping in mind the performance of the industry they will be working in. Some of the top engineering jobs that will rise in the next 10 years are mentioned below.
Software Engineering Jobs
- Software Engineers are required in Financial Services, IT Companies, Software development, App based services and many more industries.
- According to Coursera, 18% of all jobs are related to software engineering.
- In FY22, TCS, Wipro and Infosys, will hire about 1 Lakh Software Engineers due to the increasing demand for talent.
- India’s IT and Business services to reach USD 20 Billion by 2025.
- India has about 200 Engineering colleges that provide Software Engineering and the average fees range between INR 80,000 to INR 2,50,000 per year.
- According to The Hindu, software engineers have received a 120% increase in salary in 2021-22.
- McKinsey Global states that digital technologies can create 65 million new jobs by 2025 in India which is one of the main drivers of software development.
- GOI has introduced a 100% export-oriented scheme (STP Scheme) for the development and export of computer software, including the export of professional services.
Aerospace Engineering Jobs
- Aerospace Engineers are required by various Airline Operators, Airline Manufacturers and even Space Research Organizations.
- Aerospace Engineering can be divided into 2 major sectors which are Aeronautical Engineering that deals with various aircraft within the earth’s atmosphere and Astronomical Engineering which mainly deals with aircraft that can travel in space.
- Major domains for Aerospace Engineers are R&D of aircraft, maintenance, quality control etc
- The MRO Industry (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul) in India will reach USD 4 Billion in 2031 from USD 1.7 Billion in 2021 according to Deloitte.
- The Civil Aviation Market in India is the third largest in the world with 131 million passengers and over 800 Aircraft.
- The Indian Aviation Market demands 200-300 maintenance works on airplanes annually.
- India’s aviation industry is expected to witness Rs. 35,000 crore (USD 5 billion) investment in the next four years.
- India has more than 200 engineering colleges for Aerospace Engineering and the average fees range between INR 60,000 to INR 2,50,000
Civil Engineering Jobs
- Civil Engineering provides massive opportunities in the construction of houses, buildings, roads, bridges, water resources etc
- According to the last census, 52 Million people have migrated to cities for better living conditions and employment providing an opportunity for better infrastructure to sustain this demand.
- Global Construction Perspectives (GCP) and Oxford Economics have stated that the volume of construction output will grow by 85% to USD 15.5 trillion worldwide by 2030 while China, the USA and India will constitute 57% of this global growth.
- GOI’s initiatives like ‘Housing for All’ and ‘Smart Cities Mission’ will receive funding to the tune of INR 13,750 crore (USD 1.89 billion) giving civil engineering scope for growth both in urban and rural areas.
- GOI aims to construct 65,000 km of national highways at a cost of INR 5.35 lakh crore (USD 741.51 billion) by 2022 while 13,298 km of highways were constructed across India in FY21.
- India has more than 3000 civil engineering colleges in India with an average fee of INR 80,000 to INR 2,50,000 where students get an average placement of INR 11 Lakhs.
Environmental Engineering Jobs
- The Earth is moving toward a crisis and Environmental Engineers provide solutions through better use of knowledge in the field of engineering, soil science, biology, and chemistry.
- India ranked at the bottom of Environment Performance Index 2022 published by the World Bank. According to Financial Express, the score dropped from 27.6 in 2020 to 18.9 in 2022.
- India has stated that it will reach net-zero emissions by 2070 which will take huge investments to achieve.
- India has been working on green energy adoption with INR 19,500 (USD 2.57 Billion) allocated for manufacturing high-efficiency solar modules under the PLI scheme.
- Renewable energy constitutes 36% of all the installed power capacity in India which has increased from 1.2% in 2000.
- Due to the increasing size of the market, Environmental Engineers are getting good salaries. According to Payscale, the average salary ranges between INR 8-10 Lakhs after 5 years of work experience.
Biomedical Engineering Jobs
- Biomedical engineers focus on building devices for medical causes and improving human health.
- Although India is one of the lowest users of medical devices, there has been a growth of 15% in the last 3 years.
- According to estimates, the Indian biomedical industry will grow to USD 50 Billion by 2050 from 11 Billion in 2020.
- Right now, the medical equipment is mainly imported but PLI schemes have been introduced by GOI which has resulted in an increase in investment of 98% YoY to INR 2,196 crore as against INR 1,108 crore in FY19.
- In its quest for a better and bigger biomedical engineering industry, India is not only producing for itself but India’s low-cost equipment has found export markets in Thailand, Kenya, Myanmar and other SE Asia countries and Africa.
- India has more than 250 Biomedical engineering colleges with an average fee of INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000.
- According to Glassdoor the average starting salary of biomedical engineers is INR 25,000.
The engineering jobs of today will differ significantly from the jobs of the future. The landscape is always changing due to the rapid increase in advances in technology. Students must take a hard look at the industries that will shape the future. Students will get the best return on their education if they align their goals with the latest innovations and market trends.
(ThePrint ValueAd Initiative content is a paid-for, sponsored article. Journalists of ThePrint are not involved in reporting or writing it.)