Sushma Swaraj | Wu Hong-Pool/Getty Images
External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj | Wu Hong-Pool/Getty Images
Text Size:

Ahmedabad: No Pakistani soldier or civilian died in the air strike on a terror camp at Balakot in Pakistan in February, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Thursday.

Addressing BJP’s women workers here, she said Indian military was given a “free hand” in the operation but was clearly told that no Pakistani civilian should be killed and also there be “not even a scratch” on the Pakistani army.

“We told them (the international community) that our air strike was in self-defence…we had given a free hand to the Army but had also given two directions too – no civilian of Pakistan (Pakistan ka koi nagrik) should die. Pakistan’s Army should not be touched.

“Your target should be those terrorists of JeM which had taken responsibility for killing 40 persons in Pulwama,” she said.

“Our armed forces were told to target only Jaish-e- Mohammed which was behind the Pulwama terror attack and they did just that – destroyed their camp and returned,” the senior BJP leader said.

The IAF had struck a Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terror training camp in Pakistan on February 26, in response to the February 14 Pulwama attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed.

Swaraj said the air strike was carried out in self- defence. “When we carried out the air strike, we had told the international community that we took the step only in self- defence,” she said.

The minister said the entire international community supported India over the air strike.

Officials later clarified that Swaraj meant civilians when she said `nagrik’.

Lauding Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Swaraj said he has emerged as a top international leader who sets the agenda for the world.

On the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, Swaraj said the then Congress-led UPA government had failed to take along other countries to isolate Pakistan despite the fact that 40 persons belonging to 14 countries were also killed in the strike.

Pakistan had objected to the invitation extended to India for a meet of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Abu Dhabi last month, but the host county UAE snubbed Islamabad, she said.


Also read: With Balakot, India both gained & lost an opportunity to push Pakistan to act against terror


 

For ThePrint's smart analysis of how the rest of the media is doing its job, no holds barred, go to PluggedIn


4 Comments Share Your Views

4 COMMENTS

  1. Mrs Sushma responded well but it is fact that jem was guarded by armed personnel of Pakistan and they too stood wiped out in the sir strike
    Our IAF did best but like targets selected strongly guarded by Pakistan forces they eventually stood killed
    Spot reporting after air strike confirmed to have killed armed forces guarding Madraa so we should avoid what we did and should proud of IAF valour accuracy and expertise
    Taking political mileage from such military actions by state needs rethinking and politicians should avoid taking credit
    We must remember earlier central government too returned the surrendered Pakistan soldiers as well as Pakistan lands
    History is proof of it and we should avoid comments in the issue

  2. Question: What action will be taken against all those that LIED to the world and brought SHAME on India?
    Will the Defence Minister be sacked?
    Will the IAF Chief be court marshalled and dishonourably discharged for bringing shame to the UNIFORM that he wears.

  3. Truth is at last beginning to come out. All those LIES ….after LIES …..after LIES …. now we know that Balakot was a demonstration of Indian incompetence of the highest order.

  4. In a situation of war, the silos break down. There could have been trainers from the Pakistani army present, explosives experts. Balakot was a retaliatory strike for Pulwama, of the sort the Israelis do. More punishment than self defence, although deterrence is obviously built into it. Better to let the matter rest now.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here