Tuesday, 24 May, 2022
HomePoliticsModi govt asks Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to vacate official Lodhi Road bungalow...

Modi govt asks Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to vacate official Lodhi Road bungalow in Delhi

Urban affairs ministry order says Priyanka Gandhi Vadra must vacate her bungalow by 1 August. The order comes months after her SPG security was withdrawn.

Text Size:

New Delhi: Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra has been asked to vacate her government bungalow in Delhi by 1 August.

In an order issued Wednesday, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs said Vadra will have to vacate the Lodhi Road bungalow as she does not have Special Protection Group (SPG) protection anymore.

“Consequent upon withdrawal of SPG protection and grant of Z+ security cover by Ministry of Home Affairs, which does not have provision for allotment/retention of government accommodation on security grounds to you, the allotment of Type 6B house number 35 in lodhi estate is hereby cancelled with effect from 1 July,” the order said.

The order added that Vadra will be given a concessional period of one month to vacate the bungalow.

It said any stay beyond 1 August will attract damage charges.

A senior housing and urban affairs ministry official told ThePrint that the accommodation was given to Vadra when she was given SPG protection, way back in February 1997. “Now, she no longer has SPG protection. She has Z+ security and as per rules such individuals are not allowed government accommodation unless the Union home ministry recommends so because of high theft perception. In this case we have not received any direction from the MHA,” the official, who did not want to be named said.

The official added that currently only a handful of people who don’t hold any position such as BJP veteran LK Advani have got a government accommodation.

“There are exceptions, which the Cabinet Committee on Accommodation decides following a risk assessment made by MHA,” the official said.

While she hasn’t yet released an official statement in response, sources close to Vadra said she will comply with the order.

“There is no other option. It was a government bungalow, so it will have to be vacated. Earlier too when the SPG protection was withdrawn, she didn’t object to it,” a close aide told ThePrint.

SPG cover was withdrawn last year 

The order comes months after Vadra, along with Congress president Sonia Gandhi and former party president Rahul Gandhi, were stripped of the SPG security cover in November last year.

The family was instead given Z+ security by CRPF forces.

The ministry order said the withdrawal of her bungalow on Lodhi Road, which happens to be one of the most posh areas in the national capital, is a fallout of the SPG cover being withdrawn.

A month after the removal of the SPG cover, her husband Robert Vadra had said there was a “huge security lapse” due to the withdrawal.


Also read: On UP’s political turf, a new rivalry is unfolding: Mayawati vs Priyanka Gandhi


Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Why news media is in crisis & How you can fix it

India needs free, fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism even more as it faces multiple crises.

But the news media is in a crisis of its own. There have been brutal layoffs and pay-cuts. The best of journalism is shrinking, yielding to crude prime-time spectacle.

ThePrint has the finest young reporters, columnists and editors working for it. Sustaining journalism of this quality needs smart and thinking people like you to pay for it. Whether you live in India or overseas, you can do it here.

Support Our Journalism

5 COMMENTS

  1. Z+ security for this stupid person? What for?
    Who is going to attack her? Mosquitoes and bed bugs?

  2. Readers please note – this lady is an ordinary citizen like the rest of us. Just because she is a Gandhi DOESNOT entitle her to privileges. There is no need to feel sympathy for her.

Comments are closed.

Most Popular

×