Monday, 23 May, 2022
HomeIndiaMan behind viral Kolkata hospital video faces 'boycott' as Babul Supriyo tweets...

Man behind viral Kolkata hospital video faces ‘boycott’ as Babul Supriyo tweets his identity

24-year-old student had shot a video that showed bodies lying unattended at a Covid-19 hospital in Kolkata, which BJP has used to target Mamata govt.

Text Size:

Kolkata: A viral video and a Union minister sharing his personal details on Twitter have left a 24-year-old fearing for his life, and traumatised to the point that he spent a night on the streets of Kolkata after not being allowed into his apartment and “threatened by random people”.

Somnath Das was admitted to the M.R. Bangur Hospital in Kolkata as a suspected coronavirus case. But Das tested negative and was discharged Tuesday.

During his stay, however, he shot a video that showed a couple of dead bodies lying unattended for hours in the Covid-19 ward of the hospital where he had been kept. The video has since gone viral.

It was shared by senior BJP leaders to target the Mamata Banerjee government but Union Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Babul Supriyo, also put out Das’ phone number on Twitter.

The tweet that had Das's phone number | Twitter grab
The tweet that had Das’s phone number | Twitter grab

Speaking to ThePrint, a sobbing Das said ever since Supriyo shared his phone number, he has been hounded by “random people”, who have been calling him and threatening him of “dire consequences”.

“Who gave him (Supriyo) the right to share my details on social media? My privacy has been breached,” Das said. “People are calling and abusing me. I am being threatened with dire consequences.”

Das added that he is from Asansol, Supriyo’s Lok Sabha constituency, but does not personally know the MP.

“He is the Asansol MP but I do not know him, nor do I have his contact. I do not know how my details reached him,” Das said Wednesday night. “I do not know whom to trust. My friends called me to say that police will file several cases against me and my whole life will be wasted. I do not know what wrong I have done. I am neither a BJP member nor I have anything to do with the Trinamool Congress. I am just a common man.”

The Kolkata Police have since clarified in a tweet that they have not booked Das. A senior Kolkata Police officer also told ThePrint Thursday morning that Das was taken back to his apartment late last night. He lives in an apartment complex in North Kolkata.

Kolkata Police clarify that they haven’t filed an FIR against Das | Twitter screen grab

‘I am being hunted’

Before his ordeal ended late Wednesday night, Das had been hiding out at a subway in Kolkata.

He told ThePrint that he was asked by another patient to hold his phone and narrate the state of the Covid-19 ward, and that he had no clue how the video reached the BJP leaders and went viral.

“I am a resident of Asansol but I live in Kolkata as I am studying here. I have some kidney ailments too and that is why I was taken to hospital for testing. While being there, I thought that it would be proper to shoot a video showing the condition inside the ward and how bodies are lying there unattended with the patients,” he said. “But I did not speak a word against the doctor or the sisters treating us. Moreover, I had no clue how this clip reached social media platforms.”

He added, “I was discharged by the hospital and was asked to be isolated as I am a high-risk patient. But the apartment authority denied my entry.”

Das said he spent the night “on the streets” Tuesday, adding he was worried for his father, “a patient of hypertension” who had fallen sick.

He said he roamed around aimlessly in the city Wednesday, eating only a “piece of cake” from a roadside shop.

A petrified Das had stopped taking any call from unknown numbers. He had answered ThePrint’s call after several attempts, and the police said he did not even take calls when the local police station tried to reach him.

“I might have done something really wrong, but I did not have any ill intention. I just wanted to highlight the mismanagement inside, but I never sent the video to anyone,” Das said. “And the phone in which the video was shot is not mine. I do not know why they shared my name and number on Twitter.”

Throughout his phone call with ThePrint, Das repeatedly said he felt like “committing suicide”. “All my dreams are shattered now, I do not think I have any future. Police will pick me anytime, I am feeling like ending my life,” he said.


Also read: 3 Bengal districts tagged hotspot by Modi govt ‘haven’t reported Covid-19 cases in a week’


Caught in political one-upmanship

There has been a game of political one-upmanship that the BJP and the TMC have been indulging in since the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, with the Covid-19 pandemic situation making things worse.

Before he shared Das’ details, Supriyo had used the video to target the Mamata government over its handling of the Covid-19 crisis.

He also did not let up after the Kolkata Police clarified that there was no FIR against Das, even taking offence that the police didn’t address him as ‘Honble’ minister.

ThePrint tried to reach Supriyo but he did not respond to texts and calls. This report will be updated when he replies.


Also read: Gastroenterologist son of Communist leader is Mamata’s go-to man to fight Covid in Bengal


Mamata govt bans mobile phones in hospitals

Within hours of Das’ video going viral, the state government issued an instruction banning mobile phones in earmarked Covid-19 hospitals. “Since mobile phones can be a potential source of spreading COVID 19 infection, no one will be allowed to carry, possess or use mobile phones inside the Covid hospitals in the State,” the order said. “This applies to all persons inside the hospital, whether patients or staff on duty. The deposit of patients’ mobile phones may be taken and a receipt may be given to them. However, to ensure they have a communication channel to the hospital administration, intercom facilities may be provided in the wards.”

“The contact number of the control room or the Hospital Superintendent or manager should be publicised prominently among the patients. Also, landline arrangements with STD calling be kept ready in case the patient needs to make a call or receives a call from outside, it added. “Staff on duty should be told of the restrictions on the use and carrying of mobile phones inside the wards/ treatment areas. While implementing this, take all measures for especially ensuring that the patients need for communication with hospital authorities is attended to with due priority.”

Chief Secretary Rajiva Sinha confirmed to the media that phones are banned in Covid-19 hospitals. “Mobile phones are primary tools that carry infection,” he said at a press conference in Nabanna Wednesday. “That is why the hospitals now do not allow phones inside ICU and ICCU. This is a general government rule.”

ICMR guidelines, however, do not list mobile phones as potential carriers of the virus.


Also read: Mamata gives Rs 10 lakh insurance cover to journalists, asks them to report positive news


 

Subscribe to our channels on YouTube & Telegram

Why news media is in crisis & How you can fix it

India needs free, fair, non-hyphenated and questioning journalism even more as it faces multiple crises.

But the news media is in a crisis of its own. There have been brutal layoffs and pay-cuts. The best of journalism is shrinking, yielding to crude prime-time spectacle.

ThePrint has the finest young reporters, columnists and editors working for it. Sustaining journalism of this quality needs smart and thinking people like you to pay for it. Whether you live in India or overseas, you can do it here.

Support Our Journalism

9 COMMENTS

  1. This student might got admitted in the hospital to take the video and create a sensation. There might be some more person admitted in other hospitals. Correct step taken to ban mobile in hospital.

  2. Matter could have been handled in a much proper way.. The student shooting a video might have been to bring the authorities in notice what is happening and once the same came to the authorities knowledge things could be better. As a lay man without any number of the authorities he thought of making it viral so that so it reaches to the authorities faster.
    Poor boy was not aware of the consequences..
    The other out of mind person is our MP Mr Babul Supriyo. He is not aware of what could be the future of the kid. Shameless and foolish attitude. Neither found nor seen type species during the need hours… They r only their to mudslinging and expect to be in power nothing without no action…. Awesome person u r Mr MP… Why did u not put ur brother’s name into it?? Admired u as a good singer.. A good artiest.. But all seems fake.. If someone is a good artiest the person has to be a good soul first.. Which u r not Sir..
    Now my request to you is that be a bit responsible & help this kid by visiting or meeting him personally.. Now a days Covid suspected is like having a person with leprosy a few decades back.. He must be a traumatised one.. Pls help by ur power of MP and then again twit with u did for the kid..

  3. I think it was really a stupid act by babul supriyo to put the guys details on social media….these people can only talk big….Babul supriyo now it’s your turn to take care of the guys well being….Be responsible!!

  4. The minister must apologise to the young man. In future, nobody would send any video or any communications to this minister.

  5. “Mobile phones are primary tools that carry infection,” But is it the only tool? And what about other primary tools, and the secondary ones?
    There is no smoke without a fire.

  6. This is the problem in Bengal. The communists may be gone but that mindset remains. Union Raj became goonda Raj. Have you ever wondered why so less news of anything comes out of Bengal? Because everything is suppressed beforehand. Not a single local news channel criticizes the TMC govt. Most are owned by TMC people. And if anyone dares to speak up against the goons then party people make the life hell of that person. Here the culture is ” to eat and let others eat too.” From hospitals to motor vehicles Dept, without bribes it is next to impossible to get your job done. There is zero transparency. And the appeasement policy of TMC is well known. Laws are different in different areas considering the demographics. Law is openly flouted in minority dominated areas but no one bats an eye. There’s no point talking about illegal immigrants because everyone knows here but no one really talks about it.

    • Only in Bengal this happens, nah ! What happened to the Jawan who shared the fact of ill quality food served to them ? And what happened to Khemka of Haryana and the doctor of Gorakhpur who bought oxygen cylinder to save dying children ? I think you cannot remember this.

  7. This kid, student, shooting video of dead bodies and also other patients is illegal as nobody is supposed to shoot video within the hospital ward, in this case it is a containment area. 2. Circulating the video in social media is again illegal, given the current COVID-19 conditions. 3. Posting this video in Twitter and further circulated in WhatsApp by Babul Supriyo, BJP is absolutely irresponsible behavior. 4. Dead bodies in the ward with live patients is certainly pathetic, but having come to know the BJP-MP should have handled this in much more matured way in contacting the hospital and helping the in need, as most of the hospital are understaffed, less resources, infrastructure challenges and over and above, they have medico-legal issues in handling COVID-19 cases for proper certifying and disposing off the bodies. 5. Babul Supriyo, using this as political tool settle score with Mamata govt is absolutely avoidable in the current scenario. 6. Media bringing this news, further probating to everyone, repeatedly, is another irresponsible behavior. Blame it on everyone, but no one is responsible for actions.

Comments are closed.

Most Popular

×