New Delhi: Top tactical commanders from the Indian and Chinese armies are set to meet again “soon” in eastern Ladakh to ease tensions that have arisen from an unprecedented troop build-up since early May.
Sources said divisional commander-level talks will be held soon, and will be in continuation of the two rounds of talks held on 22 May and 23 May. Diplomatic talks are also being held between the two countries to ensure the issue is settled peacefully.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had in an interview to news channel Aaj Tak Saturday said “there are perceptional differences with China over the LAC”.
He had also told Times of India that soldiers of China’s People’s Liberation Army had “come a little further than they used to earlier” to make the “situation different this time”.
Multiple rounds of talks
The sources also told ThePrint that multiple rounds of talks have been held at various military levels, and such interactions are being done almost on a daily basis.
ThePrint had reported on 26 May that India has demanded that China revert to status quo along the LAC in Ladakh, while the Chinese have sought stoppage of construction activities by India near the “borders”. By that time, at least six rounds of talks had been held at the local level (including at the division level) in Ladakh, besides diplomatic and others efforts to defuse the situation.
A source had described the talks as a “ping-pong game”, as there had been a lot of back and forth without any tangible outcome.
However, in a positive development, both sides have agreed to resolve the issue through established channels of communication. India decided to focus on an “amicable solution” through talks following a high level review of the situation by the Narendra Modi government.
Even though top Chinese officials have spoken about “resolving differences”, the Indian Army is waiting for the words to turn into action on the ground.